Weight used with single AL80 and 3mm wetsuit

How much weight do you usew/AL80 and 3mm wetsuit?

• 1-3 lbs.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 4-6 lbs.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 7-9 lbs.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • 10-12 lbs.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • 13-15 lbs.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 16-18 lbs

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 19-21 lbs.

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many other factors you did not provide make a big difference.

S80 or C80? S80 posative (+4lbs) when empty C80 negative (-2 or so) when empty. Another post made it sound like the C80 (or "Standard tanks or the ones with extra weight to make them neutral when empty?") was a bad thing or a cheep trick. C80's are awesome if you don't like your tank bobbing around at the end of a dive. I know I can weight myself to maintain neutral beuency at the end of a dive but a S80 still wants to bob around. Tell me you have never seen somone on a line doing a stop at the end of a dive with the tank wanting to head to the surface.

Body Fat% HUGE factor. (not that you are huge but it makes a difference and we do not know)

Height.... more neoprene if you are taller.

Gear configuration another huge factor.

Pete

For the record I suppose: I'm 6'3, 180 lbs. and 4 lbs positive, naked :wink:, with full breath.

perpet1 once bubbled...
Many other factors you did not provide make a big difference.

Another post made it sound like the C80 (or "Standard tanks or the ones with extra weight to make them neutral when empty?") was a bad thing or a cheep trick.

Gear configuration another huge factor.
No insinuation was intended by my question about tank type ---- merely trying to figure out how someone can add a 2nd AL80 tank and not change weighting. The PM'd answer was that there was an additional gear change of -6 pounds by adding a can light.

As you point out, gear config (and tank type) make a big difference.

I use 10# in saltwater with a 3/2 full suit + hood. Single std AL80 and Seaquest jacket BC. 6' 0", 185 pounds. That leaves me neutral with 500psi and full lungs at 5' depth. The 500psi weighs only 1 pound --- much less effect than where in your breathing cycle you are neutral.

Don't forget that you can easily change your average buoyancy by >4 pounds by changing your breathing cycle from pausing-at-full-inhale to pausing-at-full-exhale.

I often hear divers saying "I need xx pounds to get down". That's a red flag to me, since with the 6 pounds of gas on your back, you should be easily able to get down. Don't forget to forcefully and completely exhale when making your initial descent.

When at safety stop, cease ALL motion. Even a very slight unconscious finning while vertical will require more weight. If you can't stay still, then you need to be horizontal.

I range from 130 to 145, 5'11
3mm suit, AL80, plus salt=10 to 12lbs depending on what extra equipment I pack on
though 3mm, STL80, plus salt=6 & 8lbs
I hear women have to add more because more % of fat content, though I don't seem to have to...(not trying to offend anyone, like I said I've been told. I don't know it to be true or false but I know that it doesn't apply in my case).
Hope that helped a little.....I have a new BC so this may change.

I was asking originally for just BC (any type), full 3mm wetsuit, and pretty much nothing else. If you have a 4 lb. light and a 6 lb. back plate and use 2 lbs. of lead, then that to me would indicate a poll response of 12 lbs. of lead (since if you ditched the light and plate that's what you'd need).

I realize there's some variance in BC buoyancy and tank buoyancy, but I figure that would work itself out as "noise"--random.

We're getting a skew here to the lighter side, ten responses above the middle group and 16 below it. Did many respondents just put lead amounts in when they were using plates or lights that were pretty negative?

Also, good point about the new suit and any motion. I need to dive my suit a few more times and I really need to get the tank down to 500 psi and hang at 15-20 with my ankles crossed and my hands folded and see what I come up with.

JohnCollins once bubbled...
I was asking originally for just BC (any type), full 3mm wetsuit, and pretty much nothing else. If you have a 4 lb. light and a 6 lb. back plate and use 2 lbs. of lead, then that to me would indicate a poll response of 12 lbs. of lead (since if you ditched the light and plate that's what you'd need).

I think people forget sometimes about that stuff ("I'm down to 2 pounds of weight! (And a cannister light, steel extra-thick backplate, steel STA...)")

5'10, 160#, 19%bf; most recently needed 10# of lead wearing a well-used 3mm full, rented Seaquest Pro QD+, AL80, about 1# of junk (lost-at-sea-kit) and about 2# of camera.

--Laird

JohnCollins once bubbled...
I was asking originally for just BC (any type), full 3mm wetsuit, and pretty much nothing else. If you have a 4 lb. light and a 6 lb. back plate and use 2 lbs. of lead, then that to me would indicate a poll response of 12 lbs. of lead (since if you ditched the light and plate that's what you'd need). .

My wet suit has been used several times now and I do not use the back plate :) I actually am talking actual added weight..When I add light and other gear is when I norm have got to up my weight by 2 lbs and that is nearly too much but do-able...I have bled my tank as far as 300 PSI once AL80 in fresh weight at 12 and it was heavy (this was a spring and I was wearing layers as I am a wimp)...I had a 3, 1.5, and my skin plus gloves NO hood..I now have a new wet-suit for the dive there next time a 5-7mm shorty/full combo and I will probably add a hood..I will try 12 again for that senario as I think it will be more aquerate than before..:)
just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom