weighting between fresh and salt water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I bought a new wetsuit for warm water, the LBS allowed me to use one of their AL80s (as I dive with heavy steel tanks locally) in their pool to get my weighting right. I purged the tank to 500 psi and hovered just off the bottom of their pool with an empty wing.

After everything was dry, I weighed my gear, added the weight of the tank and of me and multiplied by 2.5%. That was additional weight I needed for salt water.

On my trip, my weighting was perfect.

When I bought a new wetsuit for warm water, the LBS allowed me to use one of their AL80s (as I dive with heavy steel tanks locally) in their pool to get my weighting right. I purged the tank to 500 psi and hovered just off the bottom of their pool with an empty wing.

After everything was dry, I weighed my gear, added the weight of the tank and of me and multiplied by 2.5%. That was additional weight I needed for salt water.

On my trip, my weighting was perfect.

This. Salt water is 2.5% (approx.) denser than fresh. Take 2.5% of your total weight (you and all your gear), and add that to your fresh water lead requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom