weighting between fresh and salt water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i did my open water back in Sept up here in Saskatchewan and was wearing a 7mm john and 7mm jacket with 28lbs of weight fresh water .i was heavy but i think they do this to help you stay grounded for the skills but was having a hard time controlling buoyancy..by the way im 5.6 and 190 lbs not fat but wide .at the pool im wearing just 2mm shorty that i plan on wearing in the Caribbean in January .ive been going to a few splash sessions working on my buoyancy skills and in just 2 splashes since ow certification i went from 16 lbs of lead down to 10 with waaaaay better control im going to try 8 this weekend coming up,my question is going to salt water being more buoyant what should i need for weight .now that learning control i dont want to loose that being overweight on my dives im thinking double of what i wear in fresh so about 16 lbs does this sound correct.ps i have my own gear so wearing different wont be a issue

You have to tell us what you and all your gear and lead weigh

i did my open water back in Sept up here in Saskatchewan and was wearing a 7mm john and 7mm jacket with 28lbs of weight fresh water .i was heavy but i think they do this to help you stay grounded for the skills but was having a hard time controlling buoyancy..by the way im 5.6 and 190 lbs not fat but wide .at the pool im wearing just 2mm shorty that i plan on wearing in the Caribbean in January .ive been going to a few splash sessions working on my buoyancy skills and in just 2 splashes since ow certification i went from 16 lbs of lead down to 10 with waaaaay better control im going to try 8 this weekend coming up,my question is going to salt water being more buoyant what should i need for weight .now that learning control i dont want to loose that being overweight on my dives im thinking double of what i wear in fresh so about 16 lbs does this sound correct.ps i have my own gear so wearing different wont be a issue

I also normally add 4 lbs. What about tanks? They can vary a lot. In the carribean I have dove AL80s, High density AL 80s, and steel LPs.

When you first enter the water there is some air trapped in your wet suit (at least for me) and that will quickly get eliminated. This is more noticeable on a thicker wet suit than a thinner one. It affects how buoyant you are at the start of a dive.

@Steve_C is right on and in my statement the most important part was "all things being equal" Don't go from an AL80 and then strap on an HP100 and 4 additional pounds. Reverse Polaris missile.

I found this weighing calculator very accurate.
Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com
And I find it amazingly inaccurate. I just used it with what I have dived with for many years when using a 3mm suit , an AL 80, and salt water. It said I needed 19 pounds. I have always used 8 pounds under those circumstances because I don't mind being a touch overweighted. This calculator overestimated my weight needs by about 240%.

I have checked out a wide variety of online weight calculators over the years. I find that they generally tell me to use twice what I need.

Reactions: yle
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom