Welding versus Medical O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're governed by the CGA as well WRT gasses, we just don't seem to have the same options for gasses. None of the places I have called deal with Aviators, I've been told by a couple places that we only have 1 grade of Helium, not the 6 or 7 you guys have etc. Either way I have some phone calls to make and some questions to ask. I was told by the guy at Praxair that "he'd breathe it" when I asked him about welding O2, but that was the extent of the explanation about purity he gave me.

pescador775:
I use nothing but welding oxygen and have had no problems, no odor, no moisture, nothing. Welding tanks have to meet stringent requirements for containment of oxygen. This includes vacuuming, inspection and hydro testing. In the USA, all oxygen tanks are filled from cryo sources which have zero moisture. The same stuff from the same source goes into welding, aviator, and medical. With medical and aviator tanks, a vacuum is pulled twice instead of once. That is the only difference.

Same for me and this is the same thing my supplier told me as well. They also said that Av. 02 has a tracking number for each bottle and is tested for moisture because it could potentially be used at very high altitude where moisture freezing could be an issue.

When I get a new bottle I stick the hose from the regulator straight in my mouth and breath off of it for a couple of minutes to check for any apparent odors or imputities.

Then I hook it up to my nitrox stick and start jammin tanks.

Dave

It's all filled from the same source. If I had a choice between the three grades, I'd ask for welding, it's exactly the same and it's cheaper.

Jimmer:
We're governed by the CGA as well WRT gasses, we just don't seem to have the same options for gasses. None of the places I have called deal with Aviators, I've been told by a couple places that we only have 1 grade of Helium, not the 6 or 7 you guys have etc. Either way I have some phone calls to make and some questions to ask. I was told by the guy at Praxair that "he'd breathe it" when I asked him about welding O2, but that was the extent of the explanation about purity he gave me.

Hey Jimmer, since you and I are mere hours apart in the same province, I thought I'd give my input from a local perspective.

I've regularly used both grades of Oxygen (Welding and Medical I mean).

I have no issues getting T's of Medical grade around here, so that's all that I buy anymore. The facts are the price difference is basically nil between the two, and with availability not being an issue, it's a pretty easy decision because it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to use the medical.

If ever I am running low on Medical in between supply runs, I'll not hesitate to toss some welding stuff in there for myself though.

Having to obtain a prescription for "medical" oxygen is silly. It is just oxygen whose main pharma benefit would be to divers and COPD patients. In the olden days physicians would send some of these patients to New Mexico or Arizona for R&R. I wonder if a script is necessary to reside in Tucson. Hell, nowadays, many of the folk don't even have a legal piece of paper in sight-- so, I guess not.

Well I think I know what I need to do. I'm going to check on prices and availability of medical again, and order that if the price is more or less the same as welding. But if I can't get it or the price is much more, I'll just order the welding O2. Now for those of you who do your own home brew, do you typically just have one cylinder on the go, or do you have a mini cascade/use a booster/use a Nitrox stick and compressor?

Here is my research... I think I post it on TDS though....

The moisture rate should be different depending on the grades. Yes, it should be.
That is ture that all O2 used to come from the same source. Technically, you can have the same medical grade on a welding grade tank....

However, another difference is how to handle the bottle when it is re-filled at the site.

For a medical grade, they open, drain, check bottle, and refill. If it is polluted, they clean it. This practice is only for a medical grade refill, not for other grade. They simply refill other grade without any futher procedure. That is, if you have to swap your tank for the next refill, you don't know what kind of tank (something done by the previous renter) you will have. That is your own risk.

That is a big price difference between a welding grade and mecial grade. The price also varies depending on the location and types of the account (businee or individual).

So, it is your own risk... I have seen that someone used a welding grade without problems. I have also seen that others found all nasty stuff in a welding grade tank after breathing all.

For me, I definately go with the best one as much as available.

Why not? It isn't for business, but for myself... How many O2 bottle do you refill per year? The cost saving isn't big in my perspective.

Just stick to welding grade. If the guy at the gas supply place asks what it is for and why you need so much, tell them you are into metal art. The guy will respond with "oh, your gonna needs lots of it" :wink:

Jimmer:
Well I think I know what I need to do. I'm going to check on prices and availability of medical again, and order that if the price is more or less the same as welding. But if I can't get it or the price is much more, I'll just order the welding O2. Now for those of you who do your own home brew, do you typically just have one cylinder on the go, or do you have a mini cascade/use a booster/use a Nitrox stick and compressor?

Jimmer, I rent two K tanks. Pressure drop is not a concern as I jam with a stik. However, quantity is a concern and the two tanks are rotated for refill purposes. When filling dedicated oxygen bottles a booster (Haskel AGT) is used.

Pesky, do you lease or own you O2 bottles? I lease at 65 a year and continuous blend like you. I wish I could come across a Haskel at a decent price. They are $$$.

Back
Top Bottom