Welding versus Medical O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I stopped in at Praxair today, and was informed of something that really surprised me. I was told they are going to need people to fill out an application to be able to get gas for Scuba purposes (he added that if it's just O2 no one will blink an eye, but if you want Helium in the future the red lights go on and they will need the application filled out). I was told that it would involve proof of gas handling/mixing certification, and someone would come to your location and inspect your gas handling setup to make sure it meets Praxair standards. Anyone else have to deal with something like this?

For personal use, come up with a better story. Never tell them you are breathing this stuff.

Jimmer:
Well I stopped in at Praxair today, and was informed of something that really surprised me. I was told they are going to need people to fill out an application to be able to get gas for Scuba purposes (he added that if it's just O2 no one will blink an eye, but if you want Helium in the future the red lights go on and they will need the application filled out). I was told that it would involve proof of gas handling/mixing certification, and someone would come to your location and inspect your gas handling setup to make sure it meets Praxair standards. Anyone else have to deal with something like this?

Jimmer:

Praxair recently (As I recall, from this year) set up a scuba grade air. It has been covered here already. So, I was told that they asks to fill out the form and any blending certification as I recall.

It isn't a government rule or policy, but a company policy. I am afraid of being an industry standard like a VIP.:no

Dan Gibson:
For personal use, come up with a better story. Never tell them you are breathing this stuff.

I didn't tell them right away why I wanted it, but as soon as I asked about medical, he started asking why. I figured since my shop and the other local shop both use Praxair it wasn't going to hurt. My shop has asked me to call BOC Gases for them anyway, so I'm going to see if they are going to be as big of a pain in the *** as Praxair seems to be.

Your question and your age~~~~~It isn't surprising result.......

They are good at reading face to cover their axx. :wink:

You've probably hit the nail on the head Hoosier. Sometimes being young can backfire on you. Like how I seem to get stalked by cops because I'm 25 and drive a new Honda Civic. The smartest thing I ever did when I got that car was order the LX model with the cruise control lol. Now of course he was happy as a pig in you know what when I was asking about a welder for personal use. What I'm curious about, and he wasn't able to answer my questions, is what exactly is required for the application to get Scuba grade gas from them, so he's having someone call me to answer those questions.

Jimmer:
You've probably hit the nail on the head Hoosier. Sometimes being young can backfire on you. Like how I seem to get stalked by cops because I'm 25 and drive a new Honda Civic. The smartest thing I ever did when I got that car was order the LX model with the cruise control lol. Now of course he was happy as a pig in you know what when I was asking about a welder for personal use. What I'm curious about, and he wasn't able to answer my questions, is what exactly is required for the application to get Scuba grade gas from them, so he's having someone call me to answer those questions.

What can I say? That is a real world you will face with soon.:D

I used to bring a business account and credit card. Even, simple possession of business credit card used to change some situation (including a price) based on my experience. Believe it or not, my personal business card also works very well to make any transaction easy. If you can get some titels before your name, such as Dr. or CEO. it works more than easy...:D

Hoosier:
What can I say? That is a real world you will face with soon.:D

I used to bring a business account and credit card. Even, simple possession of business credit card used to change some situation (including a price) based on my experience. Believe it or not, my personal business card also works very well to make any transaction easy. If you can get some titels before your name, such as Dr. or CEO. it works more than easy...:D

Haha good suggestion, I graduate at the end of the summer as a mechanical engineer, we'll see if that helps the situation at all lol.

Jimmer:
Haha good suggestion, I graduate at the end of the summer as a mechanical engineer, we'll see if that helps the situation at all lol.

Make sure of getting a nice looking business card with a big company (repuated) name logo...

It works... I guarantee that...

Otherwise, you have to explain all thing, blah blah blah..

Jimmer:
Been there, done that.

It's a bit of a delicate situation, but more often that not I have found they're coming out to meet you regardless of any slick business card or otherwise.

"Have you got a license to mix this stuff?"

Damn sure I do, in fact I teach others to do it :) Do ya wanna see my certificates?............blah blah blah............ (But I guess in our case it's true)

Never filled out any forms though, so I can't help you on that end and can't really tell you what they truly want/need, but my guess is the sales rep only needs to feel somewhat confident that you won't kill yourself or anyone else......but I suggest you not use the words dead, killed or "Oooops", or "there was this one time when we wuz drinkin', and we walked over to tha' helium bottle.... "

FWIW: BOC is a way bigger pain in my arse than any other gas co around here ever has been to me in over 10 years. They gobbled up my small-time retailer and that's when the wheels started to fall off of everything AFAIC. Service way down, delivery charges up, gas charges up (some WAY up) etc..

Back
Top Bottom