Wendy's Ginnie Springs Encampment and Dive Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. I saw your post about Ginnie - and being from central Florida, I was curious when you're going... I was certified in Ginnie 18 years ago. I'm sure it's changed a lot!
I was recently at Blue Grotto accompanying my sister for her cert dive (40th birthday present!!). I suppose that it must be impressive when its still and clear. Unfortunately, there were several dive groups doing certs, and things were VERY cloudy. i it doesn't take long to explore every corner. With all the classes going on, it was very crowded.
We also did Rainbow River (in Dunellon - SW of Gainesville, down the road from the Grotto) - which is shallow, but a nice dive. I've never done a river dive before: you take a boat up river and they drop you off, and it's a drift dive back to the starting point. Lots of eel grass, and also places to dive down to see where the spring feeds the river. As you drift over the waves and waves of eel grass, you can look through and see turtles and fish in the grass. It was kind of like flying over green wheat fields or something with the light filtering through the water. Very relaxing.
We're going to be in Key Largo when you guys are going to Ginnie - it'll be my sister's first ocean adventure. I'll have to introduce her to the Scuba Board so maybe she can find a network of buddies to explore Florida with.

I would like to join ya'll also for my
first Scubaboard dive trip and meet
the gang. Just gotta make sure
I am not working that weekend.
But count me in for diving (no camping)....

Has anyone made their camping reservations yet? I will be doing that sometime early this week.

Also I am working on a new poster so everyone can find us (I hope) this poster will be laminated (hopefully) so in case it rains a little, I won't have to hide it from getting wet. Also since I am arriving on Friday night, I won't be late like I was at the last dive party.

Wendy (camping)
8buck (camping)
NetDoc (camping)
Wildbill + 2 (camping)
phree337
darkmoon3d + friends
scuba_jenny + at least 1
ReefGuy + ?
finaddictfred + 1
newbie-in-fl

Count me in! I missed out last time and won't again! I will be there early friday (get off work at 5:00 AM) so maybe i can call the good spots. Can we reserve spots next to each other? We could take over a whole section! I will be going w/ 2 divers and a boat. Probably a few snorkelers, too. Can't wait!

P.S. Who's up for a Naked Night Dive ! :wacko: :eek:ut: j/k :D

Wendy,

Are you getting a site with Power/Water or a tent site? Getting sites in a group are a great idea. I'll be bringing a pop-up.

Let me know so I can ask for a spot in a group.

A naked nite dive? Hmmmmmm!:mean:

Wildbill:cop:

Wildbill once bubbled...
Wendy,

Are you getting a site with Power/Water or a tent site? Getting sites in a group are a great idea. I'll be bringing a pop-up.

Let me know so I can ask for a spot in a group.

A naked nite dive? Hmmmmmm!:mean:

I'll be getting a wilderness campsite cuz I'll be camping with just a tent.

I just read this on the Ginnie website: To make reservations for electric and water campsites, the Ginnie Cottage, groups, and to schedule diver training please phone Ginnie Springs between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. We cannot take reservations through email. Please remember that except for groups of 30 or more, wilderness campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and may not be reserved in advance.

If we had 30 people or more we could reserve campsites, but its like $350 fee and that's just too much work to do. Sp I guess we will just get assigned campsites once we arrive. But I have an idea: When everyone arrives, tell the desk that you have a bunch of friends arriving to camp too and if its possible to place us near each other. That's the only thing I can think of to do.

I have to run the idea by my mom, but considering I am leaving in les than a year, I'm sure she will be more than willing to spend the weekend with me diving (I hope) Plus, I can use that time to work on my senior project if I decide to do it on scuba diving.

Won't be able to make this one ;-0

Working some gawd awful hours right now and that weekend will probably be one of them.

Sounds like everyone is going to have a blast up there!

Wa-hoo! I've got a babysitter and a backup! Count me in. I may bring my oldest two along. I'm making reservations tomorrow!

ReefGuy,

I guess if we can't get together for a dive locally we will just have to do it couple hundred miles away.

Bring the youngters, we'll have our 10 year old son and I'm sure there will be other kids. And I don't think sitters for them will be a problem. Seems like we all like kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom