Wet gloves for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

After a first few dives in my first drysuit I noticed that my 5mm wet gloves interfere with my drysuit wrist seals. When putting the gloves on the neoprene wrists of the gloves push the silicone seals away risking to make them fold over and ruin the seal.
Any wet gloves out there that work better with drysuit? Maybe some that have a short wrist section or wider one that can be put over the SiTech rings of the drysuit cuffs?

My old neoprene gloves had a very long cuff that went up and over the wrist seal and never interfered. A good pair of neo gloves are going to cost you a little over $100. Consider adding another Franklin and moving to dry gloves.

You can get the actual dry gloves for free direct from SHOWA, and a dryglove ring set can be had for less than $200 US.

-Z

these seem interesting with an "under/over" cuff....

my buddy used them...

In general, wet suit gloves are not a good option in dry-suit requiring water temperatures as the fingers are significant sources of heat loss. See below thermograph;

HandThermal.jpg

There are bunches of dry glove systems available ... selection depends on dry suit manufacturer, seal type, personal comfort (ease of use), and finances.

BTW: there is a chemistry rule of thumb that states for every 10 degree C drop in temperature, chemical reaction speed is cut in half, so since muscle movement is a chemical reaction, the rapid heat loss from fingers is why they don't seem to work too well when cold.

and
remember that water removes heat ~ 25 x faster than dry, still air at the same temperature.

So, any dry glove system would be preferred to diving with wet hands 'cause staying dry is a prime factor is not being cold.

these seem interesting with an "under/over" cuff....

my buddy used them...
Im a big fan of Dry-5 gloves. The can be a challenge to get on, a little baby shampoo works wonders. I’ve been told that “personal lubricant” works too, good luck explaining that to your SO

I just bought a Rolock 3 system with gloves (wanted to get theirs for the first set and liner) and the protective collars (recommend for ease of taking off and on) for around $250. I went with Rolock for ease of don and doff and a mechanical connection. I've used them 4 or 5 times now and I have been very happy with them. No leaks and are becoming easier and easier to put on and take off.

I have latex wrist seals and use Mares Trilastic 6.4 mm gloves without any issues. I don't have any dry glove rings on my wrist seals though as I have never felt the need for dry gloves.

Attachments

• mares-trilastic-6-4mm-gloves.JPG
    mares-trilastic-6-4mm-gloves.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom