wet or dry for warm shallow wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally got cold in my 3mm in 72 deg water, was a cold rainy day and I was cold before I went in, after about 45 minutes I was not happy.

I am looking to buy the next evolution in thermal protection for the purpose of diving wrecks south of North Carolina and north of Panama. Assuming a max depth of 150 would a nice 5 or 7MM wetsuit be better than a Dry suit?

If you are heading down the tech route definitely get a drysuit. Otherwise...

Do you wear a hood? Don't even consider upgrading your suit until you learn to love hoods. Try a thick hooded vest over your 3mm. Even if you are still too cold you can wear the same vest over a thicker wetsuit.

Drysuits are really more trouble than they are worth for 72 deg water, especially for travel.

Try a thick hooded vest over your 3mm. Even if you are still too cold you can wear the same vest over a thicker wetsuit.

Look into a product called "Shark Skin" made by Neptune. They make a hooded vest that has the warmth characteristics of a 2-3mm neoprene suit only it is neutrally buoyant when wet. I layer my 3mm with this in ~68-74'F water and it works great.

I just got home from a week diving wrecks in the Red Sea, with water temperatures between about 77 and 80. I did one dive wet, and the rest dry. I don't know if I will ever dive wet again -- it was SO nice to be really TOASTY warm, and to get back on the boat and take off my suit and STILL be warm!

I dive a White's Fusion, and it rolls up in a ball, so it's easy to pack and weighs no more than a 3 mil suit. It's hard to put a hole in it (I've had mine for a year and a half and put a couple hundred dives on it in a wide variety of conditions, including wrecks, and have had one small one.) And in warm water, with a light undergarment, you really feel as unfettered as in a thin wetsuit.

Yes, I may never dive wet again.

Nah . . .1mil wetsuit in the tropics for me.

I don't like that icky feeling of being in a drysuit and "basting in my own sweat". . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom