Wet suit/Diveskin/Bathing suit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished 15 dives in 5 days today wearing only shorts and a t-shirt the only time I have been chilled is in the downpour today on the ride back water temp around 84 this week and it has been great even with the rain today :D:D

Just got back from Coz, and I tried my beanie. I did have some problems with it. First I put it on with my mask overtop, but then the mask leaked, so I took if off and put the mask first, then the beanie. The mask didn't leak, but the beanie came off.:dork2: Being neoprene, it will float, and without the mask strap to hold it in place, you will lose it. Luckily I did this all on my shore "check-out" dive and was only in 20 feet of water, so I was able to retrieve the beanie.
After that I tried again with the mask strap over the beanie. You just have to be careful how you put it on and not get the beanie under the mask seal, same as with a hood.
I did notice my head was warmer. Just like wearing a hat in winter, which I should know!!:wink: I will stick to wearing it and would recommend one to others.

...most new divers substantially underestimate the reality that water 'sucks' heat from a person 25 times faster than 'air'. Also, another interesting 'factoid' for ya :

" Evaporation: the loss of heat associated with a change in state of liquid water to water vapor. A significant amount of energy is required to change liquid water to water vapor. A diver breathes a very dry gas. The lungs need a humidified gas. As the diver breathes, water is evaporated along the respiratory tract to humidify the breathing mixture. This can result in significant heat loss from the diver. "

...make sure that whatever thickness wetsuit you use...that it's a tight/snug fit...a leaky wetsuit is almost worthless......as already mentioned...use a beanie (I use a 3 mm Henderson one) I also use 'dive socks'.....and where possible (although this might not be possible in Cozumel due to 'laws') at least a thin pair of gloves. Even in a tropical place, in summer, I'll use a 5/4 mm one-piece wetsuit.....and I have worn a 7 mm in Cozumel in Feb...and in no way did I feel a 7 mm was too much.....but then again, I'll do 4 dives/day in Coz if possible...and 5 dives/day on the average liveaboard. You can easily cure overheating UW by venting cold water into your wetsuit...but there's no way to 'fix' being too cold mid-dive.

Thank you, this answered my 7mm question I was about to ask. My wife and I also plan on doing probably 4 dives each day for 5 days, 2 boat dives in the morning then two shore dives at the Scuba Club beach, maybe afternoon and a night dive which will be shallower but longer duration most likely. We dive New England 95% of the time, just did a New Years day dive in a 7mm wetsuit with a lycra skin underneath in 42 degree water for 35 mins comfortably, but have also dove the same setup in 72 degree water in the summer time relatively comfortably, but had to vent a henderson gold core 7/5 mm hood frequently.

This is a follow-up to my previous follow-up. Being relatively inexperienced, I did not realize that it is possible to buy a beanie with a chin strap to hold it in place. So if anyone is going to get one, that would be my suggestion. Not wanting to waste $$ replacing the one I already have, I bought $3 worth of nylon sports fabric and 50¢ worth of velcro and sewed a strap on myself.:D

the beanie came off.

i have never seen a beanie without a chin strap.

I have a 3/2 but found that in Coz I was always hot coming out of the water. We dive in late October, March, June, and August and I was always warm. So, I switched to a .5mil full suit and all is well in my world. Just another data point to consider.

Back
Top Bottom