Wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been very pleased with the "Proteus" wet suits manufactured by Fourth Element - I have a 3mm and a 7mm. Suits have a built-in neck seal and are very warm and durable and come in a size "long".

Don't get yellow lol. Any non contrasty color is harder for the sharks to see.

awww that'd be right lol,just yesterday an old freind of my fathers heard what I was doing and gave me an awesome set of fins....THEY'RE YELLOW

It's a good strategy to direct the shark's attention away from your body and towards your fins. :D

This is a very subjective issue and depends so much on your body configuration. I find the same size wetsuit manufactured by different companies are often significantly different in their fit. To me the most important thing is to get a good fit in a wetsuit that has a reputation for durability. Not sure what options you have "down under" though.

Mate I'm up in Airlie Beach Nth QLD...I use a Ballistic 3/2mm right now with a fleece hood "cos I'm bald and loose heat quick through the old bone dome....but come warm water time I use a 1mm speedo flexi suit...with a lycra stinger hood...again 'cos I'm bald and not a big fan of irukandji's...anyway those Ballistics are bloody awesome...really stretchy. with a senmi dry inner neck thingy and a fleecy chest panel that's warm and snuggly...perfect for anywhere on the QLD coast but I go up to a 5mm semidry when I head further south....the other suit you might try would be a PROBE...superstretch 3mm semi dry...a bit pricier than the Ballistic but a heck of a suit...and trust me sharks loooove yellow...really they do...

the other suit you might try would be a PROBE...superstretch 3mm semi dry.

The suit I use and recommended earlier.. trust me I am far from standard body size and it is the best fitting and most comfortable suit I've ever tried. 3mm is all I need for the water I dive in (18-23C)

Mate I'm up in Airlie Beach Nth QLD...I use a Ballistic 3/2mm right now with a fleece hood "cos I'm bald and loose heat quick through the old bone dome....but come warm water time I use a 1mm speedo flexi suit...with a lycra stinger hood...again 'cos I'm bald and not a big fan of irukandji's...anyway those Ballistics are bloody awesome...really stretchy. with a senmi dry inner neck thingy and a fleecy chest panel that's warm and snuggly...perfect for anywhere on the QLD coast but I go up to a 5mm semidry when I head further south....the other suit you might try would be a PROBE...superstretch 3mm semi dry...a bit pricier than the Ballistic but a heck of a suit...and trust me sharks loooove yellow...really they do...

Kool...thanks for that.I did my first 2 dives up there with Joseph and Naomi at Illusions...was awesome,got me hooked.
Oh and my brothers the local sargeant at Airlie,I think I'll give him the yellow fins lol.
Might see ya round
Andy

I live on the Gold Coast so can probably help you a bit with this advice. I bought a 3mm Probe iFlex as my first wet suit and it has been a great suit until the water gets to about 20 degrees, then it starts to get a bit chilly. We were in 18-19 degree water at cook island last weekend and had to end the second dive because it just got too cold.

I would recommend at least a 5mm for all year round diving, the Probe iFlex are a great suit, of if you can spare a bit more money the iDry (they dry really fast!!). Have a chat to Devocean Dive in Southport or Kirra dive at Tweed heads. Adreno/Wetsuit warehouse do have heaps of wetsuits, but are a bit of a pain to deal with sometimes I have found.

Back
Top Bottom