Wetsuit choice for Southern California diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Mares 7/5/3 trilastic wetsuit and was wondering if this suit would provide sufficient warmth during the winter in SoCal? If not, do you guys think upgrading to the Mares 8/6/5 would be good enough to keep me warm and cozy?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Mares 7/5/3 trilastic wetsuit and was wondering if this suit would provide sufficient warmth during the winter in SoCal? If not, do you guys think upgrading to the Mares 8/6/5 would be good enough to keep me warm and cozy?

Thanks

"Sufficient warmth" and "warm and cozy" are probably unrealistic expectations of either of those suits.

Of course it all depends on your personal body build and physiology as well as the prevailing temperatures at the sites you dive. SoCal has a bit of thermal diversity!

I used to dive in a 3mm shortie all the way into December... until I started videotaping and noticed all the camera shake. I now dive a 7mm vest and a 7mm full wetsuit (admittedly with "ventilation") year-round since I often encounter temps down to 50 F at the depths I occasionally dive, and as a videographer I am often very still filming or waiting to get a shot.

I now dive a 7mm vest and a 7mm full wetsuit (admittedly with "ventilation") year-round

Now Bill, I've seen your "7mm" suit, and have to agree that calling it a "full" wetsuit is a bit of a stretch!

:D

PS - I seem to recall that you were the recipient of a dry suit not long ago. Still haven't come over to the dark (warm) side yet?

So far I've been comfortable in a 7mm full suit with a 4mm hooded vest. Although I've had dives in the low 50's where I was OK, I've had other dives at higher temps where the cold was an issue. :)

I dive with a custom 7mm full, hood and gloves. I start getting cool if it's below 55 or on the third or more dives. I may start wearing a 3 mm shorty over it this winter.

I am using a semi-dry two pieces 5.5 pants and 7mm vest for freediving. I am almost dry during the whole dive.
With those semi-dry suits, in could be a pain to don on and off but i think they are worth it...
Wetsuit thickness is only a component of the isolation. I favor the fit of the wetsuit over the thickness. A 7 mm is not gonna be better than a 5 mm if you have liters of water entering the suit.

Back
Top Bottom