Wetsuit fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The people that mess up alot in class are the people who learn the most because they are in the vicinity of the instructor when they make their mistake so someone trained can help them out. Know what I mean? In other words relax and enjoy your class, make your mistakes and enjoy the learning experience.

Yeah. Since they mess up a lot the instructor will most likely be near them all the time so he will catch their mistakes and they can learn from them! Makes sense! :)

Thanks! Ok, I'm gonna go to my class and have fun and hopefully learn a lot! :) Thanks!

Dont worry one bit about mistakes. They are going to happen. just make sure you learn from them!

This comes from great personal experience in the realm of makin mistakes! Makes you pay close attention and with that focus a better diver I think.:dork2:

Course I may completely out of my gourd...but that is what works for me.

As for diving with a klutz...I havent found anyone who is more of a klutz than I am! So if you're ever down here in SoCal, I'll dive with ya!:D

NeMEed, remember that the more water that circulates through a wetsuit, the less effective an insulator it is (because the water carries away body heat). Therefore, the wrists and ankles should fit closely, and so should the neck, and ideally, there's little or no gapping away from your body anywhere. This means that, on dry land, a wetsuit feels uncomfortable, and may feel like it's binding a bit around the joints. Once you are in the water, and there's a lubricating layer of liquid between you and the suit, your mobility is better and you're much more comfortable. If you keep upsizing the suit, you'll reach a point where you are comfortable on land, but likely to get cold in the water because the suit's too loose there. Your shop should really be able to help you choose the right suit -- I would never have bought my original wetsuit without the shop's advice, because it didn't feel good on land at all.

Getting in and out of wetsuits is a whole study in and of itself. Some people use silicon spray to ease themselves in. My husband uses a bottle of dilute hair conditioner and douses himself in that before he tries to pull the suit up. (I just fight with mine.) The less skin you have exposed to the inside of the suit, the easier it is to get on. Thus a bikini makes your life more difficult, and some people even wear pantyhose under the suit to make it slide on better.

No matter what you do, a 7 mil Farmer John is going to be a fair amount of work to get into, which is only one of the many reasons why almost anybody diving regularly in Puget Sound will end up in a drysuit. (Dry suits are warmer, particularly if you want to do more than one dive in a day.)

Don't worry about being a klutz in class. I was hopelessly scuba retarded. (You might get a kick out of reading the journal of my open water class -- the link is in my sig line.) At one point, I despaired of ever being able to swim around the pool without banging into the bottom or doing a ballistic missile imitation. But Tuesday, I got my first cave diving cert. If I can get that far, anybody can learn to dive.

And, once you get your OW card, if you want a steady buddy to do some first local tours with, send me a PM. I like going out with new divers -- I was shown such kindness and generosity when I was new, I enjoy paying it forward.

The suit that was in the picture looked like an older one that is not very stretchable. Suits are hard to get on but the new stretch suits are alot better. Some have stretch panels where some are all stretch material.

Check them out. It's great you can move around and breath, thats important. < haha :)

Hi! My first class went really well! :) I had a lot of fun and I learned a lot too :)

As for the suit, I just meant it was that style....the two piece etc. Not that exact model :)

:wave-smil

Hey it's great to hear class 1 went well. Since you had a lot of fun I bet you got into the water. If that went well then the rest should continue to be a good time.

Pete

so just out of curiosity witch part of the sound are you in.

:wave-smil

Hey it's great to hear class 1 went well. Since you had a lot of fun I bet you got into the water. If that went well then the rest should continue to be a good time.

Pete

Yup! We went to the store and then to a pool! :) It was a lot of fun!!! I can't wait to go again!! :D

so just out of curiosity witch part of the sound are you in.

South Sound! Near Tacoma :)

I have found that a lycra skin makes all the difference. Whether using a regular or hyperstretch suit it slips on easier even when it is 90 degrees outside. Then I use the lycra alone as a rash guard in the tropics.
I agree with this. A skin does not affect the fit of or performance a wetsuit at all except it makes it very easy to get into and if one dives a lot the price is easily amortized. Convoluted donning rituals or slathering with goop? Puleese! And in the tropics a skin is all I need. It is like diving naked in warm water. I keep my Dive Goddess next to my skin.

I just wear me some speedos so it slides on real easy in all the right spots (hate binding ><) and then act all hot and sexah and walk around the dive boat like that afterwards!

Actually I used to tease my DM for wearing speedos under his wetsuit as I would wrap a towel around my naked body and throw on my wetsuit like nothing. It was a body glove 7mm. I was a long time surfer so this was what we called deck changing and I had lots of experience putting on a wetsuit like this so no biggie. Until I got my own wetsuit (O'Neill j-type 7mm) which is really hard to get up past the thighs to the waist because it has its own vest built in and one day on a dive boat I lost my towel in front of a few people while changing. I still use the same style, wrap the towel around, changing but now I have the speedos on just in case =D!!! .....and no I dont strut my stuff in them, no thanks! But essentially they are way more comfortable then shorts because they act like a skin where I need it most, now the suit slides right up over my butt.

Back
Top Bottom