Wetsuit opinion please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For cold Canadian waters, I'd look at a custom suit. You can verify 100% where it was made, the price is not that different from a good off-the-shelf suit, and the fit (and therefore warmth) will be much better.

spectrum:
Bare is made off-shore.

For a home grown suit check out Atlan My wife's cold water suit is a Tahoe done all in 7mm. They build a nice suit. Stock size or custom cut, your pick.

I guess I wasn't entirely wrong,. Thanks for the heads up and the other link!!

Thank you for your recent inquiry into the Bare brand and our wetsuits. Depending on the model, we make our suits in Canada, Malta and Thailand. The Canadian and Maltese factories are owned by Bare/Fitzwright, and the factory in Thailand in contracted to our own employees, called "Team Bare" it is contracted from Sheico.

Customer Service,
Bare Sportswear Corp.
1-800-663-0111 ext. 1.

I stand corrected

For the record I just ran down to the basement and did a tally

2006 2mm Plazma Shorty, Thailand
2005 7mm Arctic full suit, Thailand
2005 7mm Arctic hooded step-in vest, Thailand
2004 5/4mm Velocity full suit Thailand
2004 3/5 hooded chicken vest Canada

They make great stuff but if you're intent on supporting north American industry don't take anything for granted.

Pete

spectrum:
I stand corrected

For the record I just ran down to the basement and did a tally

2006 2mm Plazma Shorty, Thailand
2005 7mm Arctic full suit, Thailand
2005 7mm Arctic hooded step-in vest, Thailand
2004 5/4mm Velocity full suit Thailand
2004 3/5 hooded chicken vest Canada

They make great stuff but if you're intent on supporting north American industry don't take anything for granted.

Pete

Thanks again Pete, thats good info!!!

Cheers,
Steve

I bought a 7mm farmer John wet suit from Tommy D's for $130 and the zipper literally fell apart as I was getting ready for the third dive on this suit. Buy at your own risk!!!!! the suit is crap!!! it cost me $100 boat dive; my fault for going cheap, don't let “I buy cheap” be your epitaph!

I use the 6.5mm farmer jon by Akona. Probably the most inexpensive wetsuit around and it works good early spring to late fall in Lake Superior of Michigan.
Jon. I was considering a farmer jane as it is versital and could give me a bit more warmth in core... I am also in Michigan and will probally do a number of my dives in the great lakes... do you like yours... what are the pros and cons of it?

Much appreciate the info

I love my Tilos 7/5 mm. Bought it at unrealfind.com for about $130 US. It fits great...I bought a large and I am 5'10" weight 183. It is advertised to be semi-dry but really just a nice snug wetsuit. I was almost TOO WARM in it in 71 degree F waters recently. I think it would be good, with a separate hood, down to the high 50's; have not tested it there, yet. Great value for the money, though it is not a custom fit.

Attachments

• PICT0094[1].JPG
    PICT0094[1].JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks appreciate the info! My lds guy was saying the same thing.. of course it is all in how it fits. but gee guess that means I'll have to go back to the shop <grin>.

Now that I have bought my gear for class, my other half is going to put up the $ for the big stuff (bc, wetsuit and regulator). hehe Boy am I a lucky one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom