Wetsuit pocket/pocket shorts recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcg2015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm at the point where I need to add pockets to my wetsuit to carry all my stuff for some of the south FL deep/wreck diving I am doing. I think I would prefer glue-on pockets (over pocket shorts) but this might quickly become price prohibitive as I have several suits and they seem to only last a few seasons. If I do go with glue-on pockets, do any of you have pockets that you would recommend or suggest I avoid. I've been looking at the Halcyon and Light Monkey ones (with LM quite a bit cheaper if I have to add pockets to multiple suits). Any pros and cons to these two or others?

If I decide to get pocket shorts (so I can leave everything in them and they will work for all my suits), which ones do you recommend? Highland, Scubapro, Apeks, DGX, Dive Xtras (I think UTD makes the X-Shorts now but I may be wrong)? Thanks for your help.

I have 2 DGX pocket pants and very happy with the quality and craftsmanship.

Funny thing, I glued a DiveRite pocket onto my 3mm wetsuit recently in advance of the S. Florida deco/wreck course I finished last week :wink: I went with the one specifically called "Glue On Pocket" which has a neoprene backing. The downside was the glue-on pocket is velcro; the zippered pockets are the ones you strap to your thigh and are cordura on the back (which I thought wouldn't glue well.) I'm developing a definite dislike of velcro pockets and would rather have zippered.

I got to Florida and noticed the instructor's wetsuits all had the zippered pockets glued on with aquaseal + cotol-240 (he had cut off the straps); obviously the cordura can be glued to neoprene. Wish I knew that a few weeks ago.

TIP: he had only glued three edges of the pocket to the suit - sides and bottom of the pocket - leaving the space between the wetsuit and top edge of the pocket open. He used that space as an extra thin storage space.

Oh, and the one other student in the course was wearing pocket shorts over his wet suit. He seemed to like them.

FWIW, pretty quickly I realized that most of the gear you need (cutting tools, reel, spool, SMB, light, backup light, strobe) should to be clipped to D-rings or on your harness for quick access, not stashed deep in pockets. The only things I ended up keeping in my pockets during the course was the spare mask and a jon-line (and the backup to the backup light on some days.)

Enjoy the class! (If you're with the same instructor, I'm sure you will.)
-Don

I like my Apeks shorts; they are well made, lots of pockets and D-rings. I also use them with a 2 mm shirt when the seas warm up.

GJS

I have the DGX pocket shorts. I use them with everything from my 3/2 wetsuit to my dry suit.

What I don't like about them is that they slip down too easily. I've never had them slip down to where they restricted leg movement or anything like that. But they do usually slip down some. I think they could use a better waist cinch system than what they have. The waist drawstring on mine is not long enough to tighten and then put a knot in it to prevent it from pulling through the little plastic pinch thingie.

Beyond that, I am developing a dislike for pocket shorts in general. It's just one more thing to put on and take off. I have been really thinking about getting one of those DR thigh pockets that Tbone mentioned and trying that. All I really use a pocket for, normally, is carrying a spare mask. And, if I'm wearing my pocket shorts anyway, I'll put my pre-rigged reel with SMB in the other pocket. But, if I'm not bothering to carry a spare mask, then I don't wear the shorts and I clip the reel/SMB to a waist D-ring.

Now that you've mentioned them, can you post links to the glue-on pockets you've found. I might actually consider putting at least one on my dry suit and maybe one on one or more of my wetsuits.

In the grand scheme of things, spending $50 to have a pair of DGX pocket shorts is not much money to be sure you always have an option for pockets, no matter what suit you're wearing (or not wearing).

I sell and have put the XS Scuba pockets on every wetsuit I have owned except one. That one is my wetwear custom that was ordered with pockets.
I currently have 4 that I installed pockets on and have installed them for a several students.
The reason that I like them is the neoprene backing. Without this there is the risk of putting the pockets on and if not done with the suit stretched to simulate it on your leg, you may end up restricting the ability of the suit itself to stretch in that area.
I have two Pinnacle suits and one BARE that have had pockets on them since 2006 and 2007. Have never had to reglue the pockets. Cotol is unnecessary. Straight aquaseal works just fine.
You put the suit on and hold the pocket where you want it. Trace the outline with a colored pencil or tailors chalk. Take the suit off and cut some cardboard in roughly the same shape as your thigh. But larger since it will be flat.
Wrap the cardboard in an old towel to avoid cutting the inside of the suit. Shove it in the leg until the outline is stretched to match the pocket. Not stretched enough? Cut more cardboard. Apply aquaseal around the perimeter of the outline and the pocket itself on the neoprene. Make an x from corner to corner and then a cross with the glue. A few dots in the spaces won't hurt anything either.
Lay the pocket on and then take a large book or flat board and lay over it. Load it with weights. I use 20-25 lbs of lead.
Let dry overnight and it's done.
Easy, fast (other than the drying) and inexpensive. The XS pockets are around 30 each from numerous sources. I only have two left in my stock.

I sell and have put the XS Scuba pockets

Are you talking about this pocket:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssgtp/xs-scuba-glue-on-thigh-pocket

Or this pocket:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsstp/highland-by-xs-scuba-glue-on-thigh-pocket

The latter appears to be identical to the pockets on the DGX pocket shorts. I like those pockets because they have velcro that holds them flat when they're empty. The former don't appear to have that.

And now I'm wondering if it would be less expensive to buy the DGX pocket shorts and cut the pockets off of them to glue onto a suit....

cut some cardboard in roughly the same shape as your thigh.

Maybe measure around your thigh where the pocket will go, then take half that as the width of the cardboard, to stretch it the exact right amount?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom