Wetsuit Problems! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently purchased the Roxy SYNCHRO women's fullsuit 4/3mm in size 2. I want to dive in in a month or so in the Keys (I get cold easily) and then on a liveaboard in June 09. It fits really snug. I had a hard time zipping the back and the neck's a bit tight. It will fit great for the time being, but by next june (if I continue to grow) it will be too tight and I don't plan on buying a new one by then. Should I keep it or go for a 4???

go by a local dive shop and try it on in front of them so they can get a visual on just how it is fitting. A wet suit should have some what of a snug fit so by going on that description its hard to tell with out actually seeing it.

Not knowing your age, but as a self described "little one", my suggestion would be to try on a larger suit if you are in your teens and growing. Keep in mind, if there are loose areas in a larger suit, then this will not keep you warm. If you are thin and petite (as the sizes suggest) you may likely find that a 4/3 will not keep you warm in the Keys in a month or so. You may actually be more comfortable in a 5 or 5/4/3. If you are thin, then doing a live board in 09 where you will be doing multiple dives each day, then you may also find the 4/3 insufficient. Teen divers present a bit of a challenge. If you are growning, you may find that a thicker mil, but less expensive brand may be the way to go. I have no idea what you paid for your suit. There are 5 and 5/4/3 mils out there for under $150. I would suggest getting an inexpensive thicker mil suit that fits you snug, but comfortable (no loose areas). If you grow and need a larger size a year or so from now, buying a new suit will not hurt the pocket book as much. If you are thin the 4/3 may not be adequate for your plans.

There are also 3mm farmer Jane sets that let you get 6mm on your core with 3mm on your limbs for carefree mobility. Don't under estimate the thermal stress of repetitive diving. It sounds like you have some swell adventures coming up!

You say the size 2 is hard to zip..... One you are settled into the suit unzip the back. Then have an assistant zip it for you. Once the slack is taken up the zipper should not be pulling much more than an inch of material stretch. If it's really stretching more than that you're already on borrowed time, so go up a size. Based on what you observe with this tesy you should have some idea.

As for the neck, does it not have a Velcro collar adjustment? Don't confuse a dry clingy collar with tightness.

More than you want to know can be read here.

Pete

I'd be concerned that the Roxy is made for surfing rather than diving as well as the fit problems you describe. Surfing suits aren't designed for the compression that diving subjects them to. Have you considered a stretchy type suit that'll fit longer as you grow?

I'd be concerned that the Roxy is made for surfing rather than diving as well as the fit problems you describe. Surfing suits aren't designed for the compression that diving subjects them to. Have you considered a stretchy type suit that'll fit longer as you grow?

ditto! Surfing suits are low quality neoprene and will not sustain compression from diving. The bubbles will burst and the wetsuit will not be effective whatsoever after a few dives. Get a real dive suit at a dive shop. The stretchy suits are more expensive but will also grow with you for awhile.

If you need a good tropical water wetsuit (80-85 deg. F) then I highly recommend a "surf" wetsuit. The neoprene in them works just fine for diving and they're usually cheaper than a "scuba" wetsuit. I have a $90.00 Body Glove Method 3/2 fullsuit that I use for places like Cozumel that has about 30 dives on it, mostly to at least 100', and I don't know how many surf days, and it still looks new and keeps me just as warm. The problem isn't the neoperene in these suits, it's that the least expensive ones are not exactly made of the highest quality materials (hence the cheap price) and they tend to wear-out after only a couple of seasons where your BC straps rub.

The Roxy will work fine for the waters it's going to be diving in. But no wetsuit, from the highest price, to the lowest price, can work right if it doesn't fit right. The suit should fit "snug" but not be uncomfortable. If it's to tight it will be uncomfortable to wear. If it's to loose, it'll be useless in keeping you warm.

If you need a good tropical water wetsuit (80-85 deg. F) then I highly recommend a "surf" wetsuit. The neoprene in them works just fine for diving and they're usually cheaper than a "scuba" wetsuit. I have a $90.00 Body Glove Method 3/2 fullsuit that I use for places like Cozumel that has about 30 dives on it, mostly to at least 100', and I don't know how many surf days, and it still looks new and keeps me just as warm. The problem isn't the neoperene in these suits, it's that the least expensive ones are not exactly made of the highest quality materials (hence the cheap price) and they tend to wear-out after only a couple of seasons where your BC straps rub.

The Roxy will work fine for the waters it's going to be diving in. But no wetsuit, from the highest price, to the lowest price, can work right if it doesn't fit right. The suit should fit "snug" but not be uncomfortable. If it's to tight it will be uncomfortable to wear. If it's to loose, it'll be useless in keeping you warm.

Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong. Surf suits prioritize flexibility and range of motion, compression resistance is not a factor for surfers. A surfing wetsuit will not keep a diver as warm at depth as an otherwise equivalent diving wetsuit will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom