Wetsuit, Semi, or Dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a semi-dry wetsuit all year long without any major problems. Temperature ranges from 5 to 20 degrees celcius. But when I dive in the winter, I won't change into dry gear for my surface interval. I'd freeze out here on the shore if the wind's a bit nasty.

The question really is: will you be diving year round?

Go dry, it's not just about water temperature! What temps are outside and how long before you get to a warm and dry place to change from your (initially) semidry (now, already very wet) to something really dry?

Have you compared cost and upkeep on the two suits, yet? You're new to Scuba, right? How often are you going to dive in cold water, do you really know?

I dived California's Channel Islands last May, down to 10C/50F, and while a lot of the regular divers were in dry suits, it was a once a year trip for me, so I was in a 7 mil semi, 2 mil gloves & beanie, heavy booties, and I was fine, as were other wetsuit divers on board. Wet suits don't have to have seals replaced, punctures repaired.

Dry suits can be great, essential for some women who chill more easily, but - the cost of a 7 mil wet suit is only deposit on a dry suit and insulation garments. If you go with a wet suit, drink warm liquids only, keep your head covered at all times on surface intervals, :loki3: and maybe pour warm water down the inside/back of your suit before going in.

So, what time does Shaka change his Avatar everyday? :gr1:

DandyDon:
Have you compared cost and upkeep on the two suits, yet? You're new to Scuba, right? How often are you going to dive in cold water, do you really know?

I dived California's Channel Islands last May, down to 10C/50F, and while a lot of the regular divers were in dry suits, it was a once a year trip for me, so I was in a 7 mil semi, 2 mil gloves & beanie, heavy booties, and I was fine, as were other wetsuit divers on board. Wet suits don't have to have seals replaced, punctures repaired.

Dry suits can be great, essential for some women who chill more easily, but - the cost of a 7 mil wet suit is only deposit on a dry suit and insulation garments. If you go with a wet suit, drink warm liquids only, keep your head covered at all times on surface intervals, :loki3: and maybe pour warm water down the inside/back of your suit before going in.

Don, being both a wet & drsuit diver, I would have to respectfully disagree with you:

1) Drysuits are not all super-costly. In fact, there are many that come from Canada that are very competitively priced.

2) A shell or membrane suit is very versatile. Depending on what you wear underneath it, it can be used in a much wider temperature range than a 5 or 7 mm wetsuit. Also, what you wear underneath doesn't not have to be expensive, it just has to be made from the right kind of materials.

3) If a diver takes proper care of h/h drysuit repair or replacement of parts is no more frequent than any other piece of equipment.

4) Drysuits are NOT just for "some women who chill easily". If they were, then there would not be nearly so many mfgs out there. :wink:

Pearce & I only have 2 suits: full 3mm wetsuit and trilam drysuits. That covers everything from 40F to 80F, salt & fresh. What could be more cost effective than that?

DSDO,

Thanks chaps. think I've opened a can of worms here!
Dry suit seems the most sensible option.
Good point abut the grease getting on deck, hadn't thought of that!

scutterjoe:
Thanks chaps. think I've opened a can of worms here!
Dry suit seems the most sensible option.
No, just a good discussion. SubM offered a very good pro-dry, with the 2 suit approach. Just never buy a shorty. Protect those legs and arms from ladders, etc, and infections from salt water.

Good point abut the grease getting on deck, hadn't thought of that!
Yeah, I was wondering if you were thinking about trying it. And you'd hate it on your wetsuit, while you were saving for your dry suit. :wink:

scutterjoe:
Rugby players rub grease fat into keep legs and arms warm, do divers do similar?

Some of us also use Crisco oil and butter, but since this is a family oriented board that is all I'll admit to :eyebrow: .

Go dry. You'll enjoy it.

DandyDon:

So, what time does Shaka change his Avatar everyday? :gr1:

When I get to work my friend, and that's around 9:30am.

ShakaZulu:
When I get to work my friend, and that's around 9:30am.
Nice Job! :eyebrow: I want that one! :32:

Let's see, that's 11:30 Texas Time, 12:30 Florida, 1:30 Atlantic, 10:30 Utila during the summer... :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom