Wetsuit thickness/full/shorty/booties question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon

Contributor
Reaction score
In high 70's (78,79,80) water temp, what do the majority of you wear? Shorty or full suit, or do you bring both? I have a 2mm shorty, but am thinking about a full 3mm. Is that uneccesary? Also, do you wear booties? I was thinking about just taking my full foot fins instead of my strap fins. Whats the general concensus out there? I dont plan on either gloves or a hood.
Ive dove hawaii (less than 30 ft though) and snorkeled cozumel and grand cayman, and had no problems with just a swimsuit and some full foot fins, but never dove either and was planning on it. I assume greater depths is where it will benefit the most?
(even though its being compressed).

Eventhough I'm from Southern California, I dive 6 to 8 times a year in Key Largo FL.

When the water temp in Key Largo is in the high 70s or low 80s I wear a 3 mil one piece suit. I wear booties for my fins. If I'm diving a wreck, I will wear gloves. I never wear a hood.

In the summer months when the water temp is in the high 80s I will wear just a surf shirt.

On the same day in Key Largo, I've seen divers in dry suits and shorties. I dove with a fellow last month that was wearing a 3 mil one piece and a 3 mil shorty. He was freezing.

Greater depths don't always mean significantly colder water. In Key Largo and Grand Cayman the temperature at 3 atm isn't significantly different than the temp at 1 atm.

What ever you do, stay warm.

Regards

deanmartin once bubbled...
Greater depths don't always mean significantly colder water. In Key Largo and Grand Cayman the temperature at 3 atm isn't significantly different than the temp at 1 atm.

But remember, greater depths does mean lost insulation in a wetsuit. So, while you may be warm at the surface, at the bottom it might be too cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom