wetsuits and pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw on some website rescue wetsuit reason for the name ??? but it was red and all ready had the pocket big enought for like a slate or wet notes like wendy has

check out this thread...

FifthD X-shorts

I got a pair of these just days before a trip to Puerto Rico and I'm VERY glad I had them! We would be diving from a private "live boat" - where the divers are supposed to drag along a surface bouy and the boat follows it around.

That worked just great the first day with dive buddies accustomed to being the bouy person. Well, the next day when another diver joined us and was the designated bouy carrier we had another spectacular dive - until we surfaced and realized that nobody had the bouy!

We were bobbing around in 6ft seas and our boat was about 1/4 mile away upwind - right at the bouy - frantically looking for our bubbles. Luckily, I had a surface marker bouy right in the pocket of my new shorts. We were able to be sighted by the boat in seconds. Without this device we may have been drifting in rough waters for a LONG TIME!

I also was able to provide Sea-Snips to quickly cut away abandoned lobster trap lines that were wrapped around precious corals. Spare masks, wet notes, spools, and other "just in case" gear can be brought along in any exposure suit without creating undue drag.

We dive very streamlined bp/wings and do not have bulky pockets on the bc. Typically we have cargo pockets on our drysuits for "stuff". These shorts can be worn over any type of exposure protection.

I'm never diving in a wetsuit in open water without my pocket shorts ever again!! First time out they proved their worth and saved the day

I think that is an excellent idea. Doesn't anyone else?
Especially if you use your wetsuit for other things like surfing - then you don't have attached pockets to get in the way.

cheers

r

I am in the process of switching to a BP/Wing setup and was looking at the X-shorts as a replacement for my Dive-Rite pocket. I have not been able to purchase a dry suit yet and will have to wait another few months until I can ( I am losing weight at a pretty good clip and want to stabilize before I purchase the dry suit so I can make it a 1 time purchase) so I need some sort of pockets. I also alternate between several different wetsuits when ocean diving so a removable option is attractive to me. I am not trying to fan any flames, but what would the DIR stance be on these shorts?

$90 for a pair of shorts/pockets, kind of steep.

Northern Diver makes a weight harness that has a pair of removable thigh pockets on the critter, you get the weight harness AND 2 pockets for less than that: http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/accessories/buoyancy.html

see "weight and trim" harness.

Wouldn't you have to pay import tax seeing as that comes from the UK? That would work out about the same price I think.

Also, $90 seems like a lot, but you can use the shorts on a drysuit and a wetsuit. I think it would work out cheaper than buying a set of pockets for each suit, certainly if you have more than two suits.

But anyway I haven't tried them yet - they could be terrible!

:D

r

8buck:
Does anyone know where i can get a wet suit with a pocket down on the thigh???

I bought a two piece 3 mil suit on ebay with nice neoprene pockets (one on each thigh) with velcro closure flaps. It was made by Sea Elite. Don't know if they still make them.

The Dive Rite & X pockets are great if you change suits a lot. I use the Dive Rite because it works with everything from my shorty to my drysuit. A few of my buddies use the X shorts and like them, but they don't have drysuits. The Dive Rite requires a BC that has a 2" webbing for the strap where the X shorts will work with any style BC.

If you're able to stay with a single suit, I'd recommend getting a pocket you can sew on.

As already stated velcro closures are better. Aside from the failure point argument, zippers can be a PITA and usually require both hands to open/close. Velcro allows you to simply reach down and pull the flap open.

Guys, this thread is from 2003!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom