WHALE SHARK REPORTS 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's hoping for a better June. Carol would be so thrilled to see a Whale Shark. Years ago, we ran into a pod of Short Fin Pilot Whales off Turneffe. The dive boat circled overhead, so the whales rode the wake and circled around us for a good ten minutes and came very close. Carol was enthralled. Before that sighting, she was kind of a reluctant, nervous diver. But after, she was the first one in the water and the last one out.

Last edited:
The 21st was our last whale shark tour for April. This was a rather disappointing April but not the first year that whale sharks did not show up in numbers. SEA used to keep statistics using sightings from the researchers (so as to not have several dive shops report the same sighting) and we have had bad seasons before as well as some great seasons.
We have high hopes for May and June.

View attachment 406494
Ralph,
have there been any whale shark sightings in may so far?

Yesterday, May 11 we did our first whale shark tour for the May whale shark moon season. No whale shark sightings. The snapper were there but very deep. The jacks were also very deep which is a bit unusual. Spawning has not yet started. We have two boats out today for whale shark tours.
Regards
Ralph

May 14 Snapper were spawning and came up 40 feet for a while until the dolphins started feeding on them and chased them back down. Jack were shallow. Saw bull sharks but no whale sharks. Saw manatees on the way to the dive site.

May 15 Snapper spawning at 80 feet but came up following the bait fish and then back down as the dolphins were back. Snorkelers had a dolphin show. Divers saw a silk shark. No whale shark sightings.

May 15 No whale sharks sighted but a great day never the less. Eight dolphins hung out with the divers and snorkelers diving down to feed on the snapper and then back to surface. Bull sharks and a turtle seen in the whale shark zone. Spawning continues. During the surface interval/lunch break inside the barrier reef guests took the opportunity to snorkel found squid and another turtle.

Hopefully all the Whale Shark sightings are being saved for next month when we'll be there.

The closest I ever came to a dolphin was on a Whale Shark dive. I saw him from about 50 feet away, swimming right at me. He swam right up to me, veering off at the last second, so close I thought he might ram me. Which would have hurt. Very cool and a little scary at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom