Whale shark tour - Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lwindy71

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am heading down to Isla Mujeres at the end of July 2016. I was wondering if anyone is able to recommend a good whale shark tour company. I am looking for an early start(to get out there before the crowds arrive) and max time in the water with these beauties. Thanks for any information you can provide.

I can't remember the name of the outfit that I went on. Some of the mistakes I made.

1. I should have brought my own stream lined "life jacket". The one they gave me came off the Titanic. It was a drag chute.
2. No one on the boat spoke English.
3. There was no water available on the boat
4. The first aid kit was non-existent
5. Our boat driver never could seem to drop us off in front of the whale sharks. We were always chasing them.
6. I got 3 attempts at catching the sharks. I would have liked some more time in the water.
7. There were no comfortable seats. I ended up sitting on a cooler. Not fun in 6 foot swells.
8. The ladder to get back on the boat was a rope ladder. It was short too. I had a hard time getting my foot in the bottom rung and no one to help take my fins. What can I say, I am old and fat.
9. No shade and it was hot.

Would I do it again. You bet! It was awesome. I had my 10 year old girl with me and she will never forget either. Of course I will pick a different boat and check it out.

I went with Solo Buceo. They were fine. I think they had water and sandwiches.

They left pretty early, but it took them so long to find the sharks that by the time we did find them, they were swarmed already. I figured they tried, but just had bad luck that day. And once we were in the right area, they found us a couple of sharks "off to the side", so we weren't crowded by other boats. AND before we even found the sharks, they spotted some mantas, so we got in a manta+mobula dive first, which was AWESOME.

To piggy back on the OP. Anyone know of an outfit that lets you scuba with them instead of snorkeling? I really hate breathing out of a snorkel.

You can dive with whale sharks and large schools of hammerheads in the Galapogos. It ain't cheap though.

I am heading down to Isla Mujeres at the end of July 2016. I was wondering if anyone is able to recommend a good whale shark tour company. I am looking for an early start(to get out there before the crowds arrive) and max time in the water with these beauties. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Nice! I have a trip booked July 4th weekend. But I haven't chosen an operator yet. Although, I was considering mexico divers.

To piggy back on the OP. Anyone know of an outfit that lets you scuba with them instead of snorkeling? I really hate breathing out of a snorkel.

Not in Isla Mujeres, It's illegal to do that.

I went with Solo Buceo. They were fine. I think they had water and sandwiches.

They left pretty early, but it took them so long to find the sharks that by the time we did find them, they were swarmed already. I figured they tried, but just had bad luck that day. And once we were in the right area, they found us a couple of sharks "off to the side", so we weren't crowded by other boats. AND before we even found the sharks, they spotted some mantas, so we got in a manta+mobula dive first, which was AWESOME.
Wow, that was a stroke of luck.

Casa del Buceo as a great reputation for both diving and snorkeling tours. I dive with them each year because of their personalized service.

Back
Top Bottom