Mantas and whale sharks in Mozambique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R4GiantM

Registered
Reaction score
In addition, to Raja Ampat, I'm considering a land-based trip to Mozambique for 2025 as a back-up. The flights are shorter, I've read that the reefs are still in good shape and there is a lot of megafauna there (mantas & whale sharks), but I don't know anyone who has actually dived or snorkeled there. Any recommendations on dive sites or accommodations?

I never saw a whale shark nor manta all the times I dived Mocambique. However, Hanifuru Bay in Maldives you are guaranteed - but - snorkeling only.

I went to Tofo at the wrong time of year. No whale sharks or mantas. Visibility was crap. Re

What is the "right/best" time of the year to go there for diving? What time of the year to avoid?

I never saw a whale shark nor manta all the times I dived Mocambique. However, Hanifuru Bay in Maldives you are guaranteed - but - snorkeling only.
That's interesting. I've read in several places that manta rays and whale sharks frequent Mozambique between November - March, but maybe that's just advertising? Hanifuru Bay is definitely on our list, but I think it's better to go between May-October to see the big stuff? I'm not sure, but that'll probably be a Northern Hemisphere summer trip for us. Thanks for the feedback!

I went to Tofo at the wrong time of year. No whale sharks or mantas. Visibility was crap. Reefs were average and water was colder than I expected at 21 degrees C. Some rough boat launches through the surf too.
That sounds disappointing, but different seasons can sometimes produce wildly different weather. Tofo comes up a lot in my searches. If we go, we'll go during northern hemisphere winter or maybe we'll try for the Bazaruto Archipelago instead. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm sure there are coral reefs, manta rays, and whale sharks to be seen in Mozambique, but more of my research seems to indicate that they're more of a lucky chance encounter rather than a likely outcome. While I wasn't expecting the frequency reported by the Maldives, Raja Ampat, Komodo, or even Galapagos, the drop off to Mozambique seems pretty severe. The diver and snorkeler reports I'm reading are more often frustrated and/or disappointed than pleased. Is this accurate? Or am I missing something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom