Whale Shark Video from Moalboals Sunken Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it it/they(thresher) is/are still being sighted.

IRT Diving sunken Island, there is normally a small premium added for dive operators to go the extra distance.. However, according to my GPS it was only 9 KM's from Turtle Bay(Tongo Point) to Sunken Island.. It is a bit of a gamble whether you will see somethng interesting while there, I saw an adult Baramundi, a congregation of 7 Lion Fish, a school of Jacks and some other interesting creatures.

Cheers,
Roger

I dove Sunken Island a week ago and it was the least of my favorite among the dive sites in Moalboal. You have to be there early in the morning as currents become stronger by noontime. There were sightings of two whale sharks in the area a couple of days before our dive so we were hoping to catch a glimpse if we were lucky enough. Sad to say, we were not. Most of the marine life are along the edge of the mound at around 100 meters deep. I saw 10 lion fishes and a huge stone fish in just one area alone. That would've been an interesting foto had I brought a cam.

Just got back fr MoalBoal. Had fantastic dance inside the eye of the sardine storm!!! AWESOME!!
No sightings of threshers, but lucky to have a baby whaleshark in Pescador on our 2nd dive Friday, Nov 5th. :D

me too! hehe... fantastic dives evie! 'til the next adventure.

me too! hehe... fantastic dives evie! 'til the next adventure.

Yes! Thx for the great company! It was a great dive group!
On to more fantastic future trips!!!

Visited Malapascua last weekend and had 3 wonderful dives. The first being an early morning dive catching the sunrise while approaching Monad Shoal,sipping coffee and we had a comfortable 4 diver trip.

Fun n sun dive shop only accepts a maximum of 7 divers per boat so as not to get too many bunched up together making it uncomfortable. We splashed down at 5:30A.M. and descended into a dusk lighted depth of 25 meters. Having one of the most famous dive guides he led us away from a crowd of divers to a spot he knew without too many air bubbles generated from the crowd and we stayed quietly at the bottom of the Shoal looking out into the grey depths.

It wasn't long when our Dive Master made an umph sound and pointed as we saw the silhouette of a 3m Thresher appear coming towards us. Distinctive of it's long tail, the thresher made a circle around us and our experienced guide started rubbing his hands together making a sound that attracted the shark and made it return repeatedly circling us, and then we noticed another Thresher appeared and we had 2 Threshers circling us. After 20 min of excitement we turned around and descended to our safety stops before ending our dives.

Truly a fantastic experience. We returned back to the island for breakfast and headed out to Gato island for 2 more dives and witnessed the nurse sharks , the golden sea horse, the cuttlefish and an octopus before we returned back to Malapascua island. The 2nd day we headed out to Monad shoal and this time we went for the Giant Manta. Our dive was at 1:30p.m. and again as we descended I couldn't help think of the Thresher shark dive we made the previous day. This time we planted ourselves close to the ledge and saw this manta come cruising by at such a mellow speed with such a gracious stroke of her wings as she passed close by to pose for our shots. Another amazing weekend at Malapascua island and Fun n Sun dives

Visited Malapascua last weekend and had 3 wonderful dives. The first being an early morning dive catching the sunrise while approaching Monad Shoal,sipping coffee and we had a comfortable 4 diver trip.

Fun n sun dive shop only accepts a maximum of 7 divers per boat so as not to get too many bunched up together making it uncomfortable. We splashed down at 5:30A.M. and descended into a dusk lighted depth of 25 meters. Having one of the most famous dive guides he led us away from a crowd of divers to a spot he knew without too many air bubbles generated from the crowd and we stayed quietly at the bottom of the Shoal looking out into the grey depths.

It wasn't long when our Dive Master made an umph sound and pointed as we saw the silhouette of a 3m Thresher appear coming towards us. Distinctive of it's long tail, the thresher made a circle around us and our experienced guide started rubbing his hands together making a sound that attracted the shark and made it return repeatedly circling us, and then we noticed another Thresher appeared and we had 2 Threshers circling us. After 20 min of excitement we turned around and descended to our safety stops before ending our dives.

Truly a fantastic experience. We returned back to the island for breakfast and headed out to Gato island for 2 more dives and witnessed the nurse sharks , the golden sea horse, the cuttlefish and an octopus before we returned back to Malapascua island. The 2nd day we headed out to Monad shoal and this time we went for the Giant Manta. Our dive was at 1:30p.m. and again as we descended I couldn't help think of the Thresher shark dive we made the previous day. This time we planted ourselves close to the ledge and saw this manta come cruising by at such a mellow speed with such a gracious stroke of her wings as she passed close by to pose for our shots. Another amazing weekend at Malapascua island and Fun n Sun dives

:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom