Whale Sharks / Gulf Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear that you are ashamed of America. I'm not sure how the disaster in the Gulf relates to your negativity towards America considering BP is a British company, not a US company. Unfortunately, we currently have a President and administration that is more interested in assigning blame and playing golf than in actually doing everything necessary to address the situation. I

So much amazing stuff here. I'm sure the well would have been killed by now if Obama had not gone golfing. But the main comment that raised my curiosity is the one about BP being a British company. This raises a lot of interesting questions. Why are British companies allowed to drill in American waters and extract American oil? Why the push to "Drill Baby Drill" if we are giving the profits to a British company? And, is America somehow not responsible for the actions of Bristish companies that we allow to operate in our waters under our "oversight"?

So much amazing stuff here. I'm sure the well would have been killed by now if Obama had not gone golfing. But the main comment that raised my curiosity is the one about BP being a British company. This raises a lot of interesting questions. Why are British companies allowed to drill in American waters and extract American oil? Why the push to "Drill Baby Drill" if we are giving the profits to a British company? And, is America somehow not responsible for the actions of Bristish companies that we allow to operate in our waters under our "oversight"?

My main point about Obama's pointing the finger and golfing is the fact that there were a LOT of options and offers of help that his administration declined or ignored. This was a BIG failure on his part. Another governmental failure was the failure of "oversight" of the drilling operations. This falls under the privy of the MMS and they blew it seriously.

The British company is allowed to drill in American waters the same as they are allowed to sell Jaguars and the German's sell BMW and Volkswagon here. They are trading partners and they still pay the federal government for the right to drill here and the oil extracted. Beyond that, they are also employing a number of US citizens, so this is yet another benefit for our economy.

Finally, the push to "Drill baby drill" is to reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Yes, England is a foreign country but they are a reliable ally who a large portion of their population don't view us as infidels who should be destroyed, unlike certain other areas of the world from which we import oil.

While it may seem extreme for me to say I am ashamed to be an American, there are many more reasons than the Gulf Oil disaster and Obama playing golf. How about American corporations and CEOs stealing our money and hard-earned security from us? Or the "wars" we are endlessly embroiled in? It is so deep and so pervasive, and money-driven, that I've become almost hopelessly cynical.

I don't want this thread to become a political discussion, as we all have our opinions and our beliefs. I'm just so saddened by "Man's inhumanity to man" (and the Earth.) I don't know that it would be any better in any other country, and don't get me wrong: I'm grateful to have been randomly born into America. No matter how full of thieves and liars it has become, I still don't know where else it would be better.

It is just the plight of the animals - innocent - helpless - unable to do anything but swim through our filth. . . so we can drive our Suburbans and live in our five-bedroom air conditioned homes. . . we over-consume far more than our fair share of the resources of our planet.

Hi

I work with whale sharks in Utila Honduras we know our whale sharks visit the Gulf, I have photos of whale sharks surface feeding in the oil, this will kill them, I do not own the photos so I cannot release them, people want to use them to try and raise money to help creatures in the Gulf, there is a lot more going on and animals dying than most people know and that BP will admit to.

The British company is allowed to drill in American waters the same as they are allowed to sell Jaguars and the German's sell BMW and Volkswagon here. They are trading partners and they still pay the federal government for the right to drill here and the oil extracted. Beyond that, they are also employing a number of US citizens, so this is yet another benefit for our economy.

Finally, the push to "Drill baby drill" is to reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Yes, England is a foreign country but they are a reliable ally who a large portion of their population don't view us as infidels who should be destroyed, unlike certain other areas of the world from which we import oil.

As a brit I think you make a very good point here. People from the UK have been slated over this disaster and while it is a british company by name the US have huge shares in it and buy a lot of the oil it produces, its a shame but the worlds thirst for oil is the main thing to blame in this.

I dont think the stone throwing Obama has done has been fair in honesty (look at the niga delta for example) in situations like this the priority must be to fix the problems not to throw blame around.

I can assure everyone that the people of the UK are devatated by this disaster, not because of embarassment but because of the environmental damage it has caused - its a huge issue over here and is something we regret terribly.

I just hope that they can sort it out before things get much worse for the wildlife and fish in the area:(

As a brit I think you make a very good point here. People from the UK have been slated over this disaster and while it is a british company by name the US have huge shares in it and buy a lot of the oil it produces, its a shame but the worlds thirst for oil is the main thing to blame in this.

I dont think the stone throwing Obama has done has been fair in honesty (look at the niga delta for example) in situations like this the priority must be to fix the problems not to throw blame around.

I can assure everyone that the people of the UK are devatated by this disaster, not because of embarassment but because of the environmental damage it has caused - its a huge issue over here and is something we regret terribly.

I just hope that they can sort it out before things get much worse for the wildlife and fish in the area:(

Exactly.

Yeah, and your link was from six weeks ago. It's all being hushed. I'm furious.

I'll msg you on the other thing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom