What about an older beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go for it. 1971 was the last time I dove until 2005. Re-certified last Oct. and I'm 52.

Stay in it.

P.S. Welcome to SB

I am 59 and an instructor and I've trained many divers older than me this past year. Stay conservative on your bottom times and stay within your comfort zone.

debersole:
As a cardiologist and dive instructor, I would recommend a visit to your primary physician and probably a stress test, depending on your current activity level, prior to beginning classes. Then, if it's deemed safe, go for it!
Yep, you should be cleared by your doc. It's only prudent. I didn't, but then - I was only 54. :D It really would be best.

Then, whatever he says, call Divers Alert Network at 1-800-446-2671 and speak with Marti in Dive Medicine. I suggest him as one medic there told me to not dive on coumadin, but after research - I found that many do, as I do now. I think Marti is a little more level headed, but then - I made it clear to him I was not interested in becoming a couch potato just because it was safer than diving, or driving on the hiways for that matter.

Then, go for it. Get a Mask from your local Scuba shop (not sporting goods store) that fits well, a snorkel with a purge, good fins & cheap booties. Swim with all that until you comfortable, do some free dives to the bottom of the pool in it all. Once you're comfortable, you can go on to become a real diver. :thumb:

Agree with The Kraken. As long as you are in reasonable health and really want to dive, go for it!

I'm approaching 59 and have been diving for 45 years now. I don't find the age is a problem (although I try not to abuse my "temple" too much, as in deep "yo yo" dives). I've found I can outdive a lot of 20- and 30-somethings.

If you're out of shape, start doing a little conditioning as you take courses. If you're not a good swimmer, practice. Both will help you. Otherwise, "just do it!"

I am in my 60's and have been diving for 25 years. I think you had better choose your buddies carefully. I find that the younger (18 - 35+) seem to think that if they HURRY in their preperation and suiting up they will SEE MORE, BE COOLER (not temp.!) and most of all, be able to talk about themselves and their dive to impress others. Over the years and countless charters I have developed my facts and this is one of them. I am not saying ALL younger divers are prone to this but MOST (I have dove with). Preperation and experience make diving a lot less stressfull on us older divers. Go Slow so you can enjoy the WHOLE experience. Underwater is a different LIFE EXPERIENCE but you are out of the water many muchmore of the time than under it - THUS - Enjoy that time as well. Hang with those that can help you enjoy the BIG PICTURE. Good Luck and listen to your instructors.

Of course you can learn to dive...at any age! I agree with debersole that you should get a clean bill of health...most diving accidents are really health accidents in the water...but the response ability is not as good as on land.

This board will help you tremendously with your new to diving questions! So enjoy...

L. Jody Cizmadia:
I am in my 60's and have been diving for 25 years. I think you had better choose your buddies carefully. I find that the younger (18 - 35+) seem to think that if they HURRY in their preperation and suiting up they will SEE MORE, BE COOLER (not temp.!) and most of all, be able to talk about themselves and their dive to impress others. Over the years and countless charters I have developed my facts and this is one of them. I am not saying ALL younger divers are prone to this but MOST (I have dove with). Preperation and experience make diving a lot less stressfull on us older divers. Go Slow so you can enjoy the WHOLE experience. Underwater is a different LIFE EXPERIENCE but you are out of the water many muchmore of the time than under it - THUS - Enjoy that time as well. Hang with those that can help you enjoy the BIG PICTURE. Good Luck and listen to your instructors.

I'm 30 and my buddy is 52. He's been diving longer than I've been alive, and usually it's him that's got all of his gear on, sitting there tappings his fins, waiting for me to finish suiting up.... Except on that night dive, he was a little apprehensive on that one :D I kind of knew he wasn't into it, but I really knew it when I was all geared up and he was still donning his wet suit :wink:

The most demanding physical requirements in the class (for PADI anyway) is a 10 minute tread water and a 200(?) yd swim with no time limit. If you can do both of those things, the class will be a breeze.
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom