What about solo dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrdown once bubbled...
Thats great, however my question was not addressed. I am sure I am not the only solo diver in the world. I believe that debate belongs in anther thread. I just wanted to know how other divers approach the signature section of the dive log. Please don't respond if you do not what to naswer my question. Thanks.
Just put Jesus as your buddy...because he is always with us:)

Diving solo? Not such a great idea.

Don't bother having anyone sign your logbook, it is not needed.

DvrDown I’m with ya!!

I don’t get what the need or the rational for a signature on the dive log is for either.

I heard it was some sort of security measure.

Because there used to be all sorts of Geeks who would sit around and make up fake log entries and badger the “unknowing” on scuba diving listservs. That is until the powers that be required a signature. Now all the little nerds just badger.

If signatured within your dive log book are not needed / irrelevant then what is to prevent me (read anyone) from simply making up 60-100 dives and entering them into my book then showing up at my dive shop and taking the DM course? (or any other dive # required courses.)

Im not saying that anyone is wrong about the relevance of signed dive books...just trying to explore the issue a bit further as well as the ramifications.

As far as Solo diving goes I am against it under all situations; for me. But if you are going to solo dive ( or any other dive for that matter) isnt saftey in being detail oriented? For sake of arguement I am going to agree with myself and say that is true. So, it would seem to me that someone anal about the detail of getting their dives signed off on is at least starting off in the right frame of mind for solo diving and should not be put down because of it.

Spydertek

Just sign your own log, you were you're own buddy.

My first thirty some dives of my career I did solo (within reason of course) because at the time I didn't know anybody that dive. So it was either that or don't dive at all, fudge that!

There's varying opinions on the topic, but I think the die-hard inflexible 'gotta dive with a buddy or don't dive at all' insight is overrated anyway. Just got to know and be comfortable with you're own abilities.

Of course I'll b receiving some flack with this....

I guess I should have left the part out about solo diving because I have already made up my mind about it. I feel very comfortable when I dive solo. But that is a moot point.

Restated question:

Hey guys! I'm new to scuba. I notice the people I dive with don't have each other sign their logs books. Is that the norm across the scuba community or do I dive with renegade divers who flaunt the norms of the scubadom. (think humor here) Does the opinion differ if you are going for instructor or DM. Do dive boat captains care if they are signed or not? Just looking for a general feel. Thanks and have a great day!!!!:)

Without getting too deep into the debate as to whether you should or shouldn't, I just wanted to bring up a point that I haven't seen mentioned here. If you do decide to dive solo, one of the worst issues you could possibly deal with is entanglement.

You need to be way more prepared than the average diver. Have more than one knife and at least one pair of heavy duty snips mounted in several different places.

Also you need to be comfortable with wiggling fully or partially out of your BC without losing control of your bouyancy. The best pair of snips in the world won't save you if you get hung up on something you can't reach.

Do everything you can to find a compatible buddy, and dive as safely as you can in the meantime. Practice necessary skills until you can do them in your sleep..........Scott

By the way. I haven't had a log signed since my last class!

That is usually what I do when I go out. I don't know many people who will want to go out while I play with my gear and practice hovering upside down. Which is way fun BTW.:eek:ut:

Walter once bubbled...
If you are concerned about signatures in your log, you shouldn't be diving solo. You obviously are far short of the experience level where you can make solo diving reasonably safe.

What a rude assumption you make about dvrdown's experience, ability as a diver, and the nearly unquantifiable increase in danger between diving solo, or with a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom