What about solo dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrdown once bubbled...
Thats great, however my question was not addressed. I am sure I am not the only solo diver in the world. I believe that debate belongs in anther thread. I just wanted to know how other divers approach the signature section of the dive log. Please don't respond if you do not what to naswer my question. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. No one has signed my log since my AOW class and that was only becuase the instructor considered it really important. Forging a log book isn't hard and if you do just to get into a class it will probably be pretty obvious.

Personally, I would be more worried about getting a reaction similar to what you got here when you sign up for whatever class your thinking about. I have an easier time imaging your instructor saying, "you know, I don't think solo diving is a good idea and I don't think someone that logged this many solo dives is in the right frame of mind this class..." then believing they assumed you lied about your solo dives to meet the prerequsites.

Cornfed

SpyderTek once bubbled...
If signatured within your dive log book are not needed / irrelevant then what is to prevent me (read anyone) from simply making up 60-100 dives and entering them into my book then showing up at my dive shop and taking the DM course? (or any other dive # required courses.)
Im not saying that anyone is wrong about the relevance of signed dive books...just trying to explore the issue a bit further as well as the ramifications.

Anyone can fake a log book with or without signatures...I'm sure people do this quite often. You can probably spot the guys who do this because they are not as good in the water as their logbook might suggest.

ScottyK once bubbled...

Also you need to be comfortable with wiggling fully or partially out of your BC without losing control of your bouyancy. The best pair of snips in the world won't save you if you get hung up on something you can't reach.

Not to bee too juddemental here. It was a GREAT post for the training recommendations, but this comment above kind of scares me.

Why would you be solo diving if your bouyancy skills/configuration does not allow you to reach anything in the 3-dimensional space around you? I thought this was kind of a required ability in the first place? I guess if something grabbed onto the very back of my tank, it would be a little difficult to get to, but your point about getting out of the BC properly is righ-on with that!

James

dvrdown once bubbled...

Hey guys! I'm new to scuba. I notice the people I dive with don't have each other sign their logs books. Is that the norm across the scuba community or do I dive with renegade divers who flaunt the norms of the scubadom. (think humor here) Does the opinion differ if you are going for instructor or DM. Do dive boat captains care if they are signed or not? Just looking for a general feel.

I've never signed anyone's logbook and no none has ever signed mine. I don't think signing the logbook is the norm...not around here anyway. I don't see why you would really want someone to sign your logbook anyway.

When I did my ITC and other advanced courses, no one ever asked to see my logbook. Actually, for a long time I didn't even keep a log book. I had the required # of dives and they took my word for it. It is kind of a mutual honesty thing.

I've never shown my C-Card or a logbook to a captain, but have seen others be asked to. I think they see enough people that they can tell if you're for real or not.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

I've never shown my C-Card or a logbook to a captain

I book most of my dives over the phone and don't talk to anyone in person until I'm on the boat. No one has ever asked to see my card. They generally have a sign in sheet and ask you to put your cert level... I can never remember if I'm a trimix instructor or a full cave instructor trainer! :D

Hey James- It should scare someone who is thinking of diving alone. In the Northeast, where I do most of my diving, there are literally tons of nets, lines and steel wire hanging around a lot of the wrecks and artificial reefs.

If a knarled up bundle of steel wire gets wrapped around your first stage, and you pull it tight before you realize it's got you, you could be in trouble by yourself. Being able to reach it, and being able to get it untangled are two different things.

"What a rude assumption you make about dvrdown's experience, ability as a diver"

I make rude assumptions. If you knew me better, that would not come as a shock. Damned few divers are ready for solo diving. I'm assuming; rudely, but based on his question; he is not yet close to being one of them.

"and the nearly unquantifiable increase in danger between diving solo, or with a buddy."

Based on this, I'll make another rude assumption about your experience level and/or reasoning ability.

I didn't comment on the thread author's question because I didn't know the answer mysef [ It is my observation that other divers come to the forum with their questions, and have to put up with &*^%$ (insert appropriate qualifiers here) who feel like it is their job to condescend, attack and put down other divers, whether it's solo diving or something else-go to church, kick your dog or shut off the fan and breathe deep next time you take a dump, please spare the rest of us, you're not a mother, pastor, or ex-spurt to those that come to the forum with questions)
Glad some were considerate enough to answer the original question zeN||

signed...since then, the only time the question's come up is when I needed to verify X number of dives for DM training. From what I see, a lot of times divers only need signatures when they're trying to get the email address as well of that cute guy/girl as the case may be who dove with you :D Japanese pretty much always get signatures from everybody within sight...guide, buddy, other divers in the group, the guy that waved to them from the dock, etc. Americans, even though I AM one, I don't dive with so often (due to my job/location, not a conscious choice) so I couldn't say. The only thing I'd say is, if you're going on to DM/instructor, I suppose it's easier to already have the signatures in there...in that case you might want to check with the particular organization in question (PADI, NAUI, whatever) and find out in advance. If you need signatures...hmm...I guess walk up to some diver & say "remember that dive we did last year? No? Oh....you were really narked out! But I remember it, so could you sign my logbook for me..sorry I forgot to bring it on the boat with me last time."

My last signed dive in my log was #42, 11 yrs and 1250 dives ago.....roughly.

I never bring the book with me and I have to squeeze time in to actually fill it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom