what and where and when in the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes actually I have... Interesting you should ask. Have you as well?

When I first came out here in 1999 we saw one here and there over the first few years. Now we find new ones all the time and they stay for long time in the same places.

Where are you located?

...a...

Yes, I have a similar experience: I've noticed that while in the past I could hardly see any, in the last 2-3 years (can't tell exactly) I see lots of them.

Sometimes they stay long periods in the same place and in January-February I can see them swimming for long distances (which makes them really easy to spot- I guess it is their mating season).

Once, we have identified the same fish a couple of weeks later at a different location located a few km away, so it is possible that they can migrate for some distances?

In some dives we managed to find up to 9 different froggies! I can't believe it is coincidence, but of course has no idea to the reason, or whether it is something seasonal and in a couple of years there will be less of them...

I live in Israel, and most of my dives are in Eilat and Taba, and it looks to me there is a plague of frog fishes. I was curious if it is something local or goes down further south.

I am not complaining- froggies are the most beautiful ugly fish :wink:

The most weird thing that I saw regarding frog fish is one that tried to eat a pufferfish, which inflated itself in the frog's mouth, rendering both of them dead... ????? ????

When I first came out here in 1999 we saw one here and there over the first few years. Now we find new ones all the time and they stay for long time in the same places.

Several years ago there was a resident one in the Bannerfish Bay in Dahab. Now it's gone.

Last year up until about September Naploeon Reef had a frogfish always in the same location. Gabr el bint also had one in a predictable spot. Both vanished since about November and not seen since afaik.

Yeah Dolphins you can see now and then - here and there, but there is no particular pattern to it more than "bit more often up north in the summer". Fanous you can see them but not really that much more than other places. Shaab El Erg is a fairly good bet during summer. Thanks for reminding me about the dolphins Asser!

...a...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom