What are good prices for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisT:
Well, as I begin looking around and talking to others, it may not be that he's marking his products up, it's just that the only thing he says is 'worth looking at' is all the most expensive products. For example, atomic split fins.... they look nice and all and I've heard they are great fins, but I can't really afford to buy top of the line products with my target price range.

As you probably already know, how much you spend depends on what you want. You need to price around. To give you an idea, my friend paid $700 for his reg,bc and comp. I paid $1300 for my reg,bc and comp. If you choose to deal with the LDS for all your needs, you are going to spend more money, but it has advantages if it is a friendly shop.

If you really want to save money, you need to buy online (no flames please, I think we all know the advantages/disadvantages of buying online). However, even buying some of my equipment online I spent over $2500 for everything.

Be warned, people who have purchased their equipment online have had bad experiences with their LDS, especially those still in OW class. It may be worth it to buy only the essentials (mask, fins, snorkel) first and then wait until you have a better understanding of what you want. How much you need your LDS may help you decide how much you want to spend with them.

--MichaelG

I too was daunted by the prospect of buying my own gear, so I have decided to wait instead.

I shopped around and found an excellent instructor who includes the cost of all rental gear in his OW certification class. So I did not have to buy any gear to become certified.

This now has the advantage that I have tried out some things and know what I like and don't like about certain pieces of equipment, and it allows me to buy things a piece at a time and rent the rest.

Just a thought...

Good luck in any case!

Yeah, I plan on purchasing the essentials for my certification class and then waiting a bit. I'm hoping that through my training I will become more aware of what to look for in my equipment. My biggest concern as of right now is that these atomic split fins arn't really needed, that i don't need a $100 mask, and that the dry snorkel he was showing us, is overpriced and un-needed since I won't be doing much of that, if any, outside of the certification class.

TravisT:
What are good prices for a newbie?

It depends on the newbie. Sometimes you can get a good exchange rate and you can pick a newbie up dirt cheap. :wink:
(had to do it)

Joe

Sideband, good one.

TravisT - I bought my compete outfit including custom wetsuit for about $1200.00 by shopping the sales.

With you living in Oklahome, do you plan to dive locally in quarrys, lakes and rivers? If not, and your diving plans are for travel to other locations, you may want to skip the tanks, and BC as they do not travel that easy. The regulator and computer would be my first purchase.

TravisT,
I recommend getting the bare essentials, as it sounds you have decided.
Take your time on the big ticket items until you've had time to use several brands and models within a brand.
When you do decide on what you want, there is no need to pay full retail, even at an LDS. Trust me, there is a healthy margin on scuba gear. A good LDS that wants to gain future business and establish a long term relationship, should be willing to work with you.

I bought an Aqualung Legend LX, octo, Cochran Commander computer, compass from my instructor for $30 more than what the LDS's in this area want for just the first and second. $26 for a mask that would be $120 at an LDS. It's all from an authorized dealer, full warranties.

The main point is, don't rush in and buy the biggest, baddest, most shiney gadget they push in front of you. Take time to use different equipment, do research on warranties, service cost, parts costs. Then be willing to haggle.

Hi Travis,

I have recently geared up myself and the cost can be a little daunting. One thing I have learned is that you get what you pay for. I have bought almost everything from my local dive shop, mostly because I want to make sure that they stay open. The dive shop that I go to is not one of the big super stores but I love the sense of family and friendship that I find there. I hae done a lot of talking with the owner and she has become a friend of mine. I have learned that most of these family type shops are running on a very narrow profit margin and depend on us to keep them afloat. This being said, it is no excuse for one of them to rip you off. I count on spending about 10% more when I buy my stuff at a LDS. I consider that a bargin for the "free" services that I get from there.

Hear is my gear and about what I paid.
Cressi Rodine fins - 135
ScubaMax Mask - 60
snorkel - 25
Mares boots - 65
Zeagle Ranger BCD - 650
Zeagle Reg & octo - 350

I bought my comp from the owner used so don't have a good referce there.

I highly recommend spending the money especially on your fins and your reg.

Hope this helps,

Gary

I appreciate all of the guidance you guys are offering me. I will take note of the advice and be patient with my purchases.

Sideband, this newbie charges $99.99 per day, no hourly rates as i'm young and fertile.

I found a web site the lists all manufacturers of scuba gear and then sorts them into classes depending on price. Unfortunately the price is in British pounds , but at least you get an idea of how competitors measure up.

http://www.divebooty.co.uk/scuba_gear.asp

I found it useful as I did not want "entry level" gear nor did I want "tech-diver level" gear.

I would not buy major items "on-line"... Its best to check for proper fit, etc. ( shop around ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom