What are good prices for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Travis,

Being a new OW diver also (less than a year), I have picked up everything except for tanks. I have mixed what I bought new vs. used, online and local.

Mask, fins, snorkel - new online - $75.00
5mm wet suit - new LDS - $200.00
Dacor BC - used LDS - $160.00
3mm hood and 5 mm boots - used LDS - $40.00
Weights (18lbs) and belt - new LDS - $40.00
Aqua Lung Conshelf SE2 1st stage, primary and octo with Sherwood SPG, depth/temp and compass - used ebay - $150.00 Add to this about $100 for servicing and a new holder (console)
Aries Atmos 2 - new online - $275.00
UK UW light - new LDS - $40.00

That's the majority of it. Would like to get a new set of regs in the future, but everything is ok for now!

Jeff

I'm fairly new at this, but my LDS will service/inspect any thing that they sell for parts cost only (no service fee). wonder how many $58.00 service fees will make up the diffrence. Garuntees are in place also for new or used. I'm probably going to purchase my serviceable equipment from my LDS. I was quoted $500.00 for a Aqualung maverick BCD and a reg. with octapus used. Reg used for 2 cert. classes, BCD I used to certify with.

TravisT:
Yeah, I plan on purchasing the essentials for my certification class and then waiting a bit. I'm hoping that through my training I will become more aware of what to look for in my equipment. My biggest concern as of right now is that these atomic split fins arn't really needed, that i don't need a $100 mask, and that the dry snorkel he was showing us, is overpriced and un-needed since I won't be doing much of that, if any, outside of the certification class.

1st congrats on deciding to getting certified.
As a relative newbie (2 yrs ) I can relate to your decision to buy just what you need. I kinda mixed and matched when I got my gear. I got a relativley cheap mask and snorkel 1st then upgraded to a better snorkel, the fins I got were Force fins (about $80 but I bought them 7 yrs ago for snorkleing) I spent alot on certain items I knew I was not going to buy again REG/Octo, dive comp (around $700 but I won't need to upgrade). Still looking for the BC and wetsuit. Split fins, $100 mask, only if you plan on using it for a long time, and you really Love em, if you plan on upgrading as you get more experience then go with the basics. As far as the dry snorkel I would say look for a better deal if you can, but I would get it, if not a dry snorkel at LEAST one with a purge valve at the bottom and the water restricting inlet at the top of the tube. I know you don't think you'll be using it all that often BUT you would be suprised how often they come in handy (waiting to get back on the boat, swimming back to the boat with low air, or waitnig for the boat to come for you on a drift dive you don't wanna burn all your air and come back aboard with less than 500PSI) so you are gonna switch to the snorkel and with a slightly rough surf a wide open snorkel becomes a salt water drinking straw, not too tasty. Plus they are great for snorkleing, you may not do much snorkleing in NC but Fla and the Carribean you can see some amazing stuff just a short swim from the shore, so on those days you don't have any dives planned or can't dive (24 hr dive and fly rule) you can still enjoy the UW experience. And as far as snorkels go you don't need to maintain then or have them serviced, and one size pretty much fits all so buying one online is pretty safe.and there are lots of online sites to choose from.
Just my 2 cents
Good luck in your Hunt
WAC

i would suggest you rent out a few gears to try them on first. buying top of the range items or not doesn't matter if the complete sets don't suits your needs. experience will clarify this statement.
try split fins, try different brands try full mask, try shortie, try try try.

when you at least reach advance, you'll have a better understanding of your body movement to suit up. different people have different needs. don't waste your money investing in something you don't know and totally useless later.

cheers..my 2 cents opinion.

PLEASE don't go to the shop and say you have $1200 to spend. If this guy is out for the money which it sounds like he is then he will put you in the cheapest gear he can and make a bundle off you! I shopped around on-line, compared pricing and features and then checked to see what dive shops in my area sold it. I did buy some things online. Also spend the money where it counts. Buy the best bc, reg and octopus you can afford. Think safety first and foremost, proper equipment just may save your life. You need brands that have a proven track record and an excellent warranty. I rented several different brands so I could find the ones I liked before I spent the money. Also find out if they are an authorized repair facility for the brands you choose. You should always have your gear checked out at least once a year by a qualified person. You can always get a lower end mask, booties, fins, skin or wetsuit and upgrade later. Also I DO NOT recommend buying tanks if you are not going to dive on a regular basis...and by that I mean more than once or twice a year on vacation. First of all tanks tend to do better when they are used regularly plus you won't want to lug them around if you are travelling. Just rent from reputable dive shops. Best of luck with your class!

Dee aka HappyUnderWater

I just finished my certification dives.

I bought some of the pieces before my first class: mask, snorkel, fins, boots.

I bought some of the pieces before my certification dives: wetsuit, hooded vest, gloves.

I bought the final pieces after my certification: reg, bc, computer, etc...

The bottom line when it comes to spending money on scuba is that buying stuff in a dive shop will cost you a LOT more than buying online. However, buying in a shop has benefits: you can try stuff on, if not happy, the returns are usually painless, and you can get buying advice from the salespeople, the owner, and even other divers in the store.

I think the trick is to rent and/or borrow as much equipment as possible so you know generally what you like and what your sizes are. Talk to the instructors and find out what equipment they like and what they use personally.

Assuming you know your approximate size, some things are probably best to order online to save money: wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots, fins, snorkel, gear bag, weights, lights, slate, dive knife, etc...

The rest, the important stuff you have to trust your life to, is probably best purchased at your local dive shop: reg package, BC, computer. They will usually set it up and test it for you for free. Also, whatever you buy at the shop, they will service when the time comes.

When it comes time to buy stuff at the shop, ask about last years (discontinued) models. I've found that if they have "one left" of a discontinued product, they're much more open to haggling over price. Get your reg package, computer, and BC all at the same time and say something to the shop owner like, "since I'm spending all this money at once, can you work some sort of package deal?" You may be suprised that their posted prices are actually negotiable.

Even better, try to get several friends (possibly from your dive class) to buy stuff at the same time. That way, if they make one of you unhappy, they risk losing all the sales. More risk to them puts you in a stronger bargaining position.

One final note, if you have several dive shops in your area to choose from, pick the largest (highest volume) one to make your major purchases. Stores with deeper pockets have more room to bargain.

I am personally confused on the mask part. Almost everyone says 'buy your mask online'. Maybe being in Oklahoma i'm somewhat at a disadvantage as Dive Shop's arn't really a huge and popular thing in my area. The one I do have is nearly an hour drive and I don't have the time to go up there and back anytime I want to try things on, get brand names, then come home and buy it online.

I've always heard you should try your mask on before purchasing it. With that said, how do you have the slightest idea of whether or not the mask fits you if you get it online? I suppose I'm at the LDS's disposal at this point.

I would say that the mask is probably the hardest piece of equipment to buy online. Your mask needs to fit correctly and I have no idea how you would decide that by looking at an online catalog!!!

TravisT:
I am personally confused on the mask part. Almost everyone says 'buy your mask online'. Maybe being in Oklahoma i'm somewhat at a disadvantage as Dive Shop's arn't really a huge and popular thing in my area. The one I do have is nearly an hour drive and I don't have the time to go up there and back anytime I want to try things on, get brand names, then come home and buy it online.

I've always heard you should try your mask on before purchasing it. With that said, how do you have the slightest idea of whether or not the mask fits you if you get it online? I suppose I'm at the LDS's disposal at this point.

TravisT:

Well, you definitely MUST try on a mask before you buy it. I have wide set eyes combined with a high bridge on my nose. I tried on every mask in 3 different dive shops and only found two models that remotely fit my face. I decided not to buy in a dive shop because the one shop was actually charging OVER list price, the other two were charging just under full list price. The mask lists for $60, I got it online at LeisurePro.com for $33. If any of the shops were selling it for even $40, I probably would have bought it there instead.

If going to dive shops isn't an option, you can always try on other diver's masks. You can also ask around on the boards. Describe your face shape and people might be able to tell you models to try. Once you know a model that will fit (or you think will fit), you can order it online. You can usually return unused masks for a full refund. Check the online store's policy before ordering.

After reading this thread, I thought I would offer a couple of tips... first off, while it seems that with the newer masks it is possible to find one that just happens to fit your face on the first try, I would really suggest that you go to a dive store and try on several then compare. Don't make price your main issue when it comes to a mask. A bad fit can take the fun out of a dive trip that cost several times what the mask does!!
Also, if you have a regulator or if the dive store has a rental, see if you can put one in your mouth while trying on a mask. You could find that the bottom of the mask skirt fits fine without something in your mouth, but breaks the seal or is uncomfortable when you are using a regulator.

As far as the tank is concerned, its really a lot of weight and bulk to carry around. Unless you plan on really customizing your equipment selection for a particular type of diving or are planning on diving every weekend, you should consider renting. Its not expensive.

As far as a regulator or a BCD is concerned, make sure that if you do buy it used off ebay that you make sure that it is serviced before going diving. It shouldnt be too expensive.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom