What are the best 3 camcorders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After my [careful] analysis, I decided to get Sony HDR-SR12 (recording Full-HD to hard disk up to 48 hours) and Amphibico housing for it.

Now, after first trip to Red Sea and several test dives in local (Finland) waters have been very satisfied. The price of these seems to vary country by country. In my case I set an order directly to Amphibico Canada, and got good service.

What I especially like in this housing is the clear colour display at the back side of the housing, and a filter (red filter for blue water) which you can easily swithc on during the dive. And I preferred aluminium construction instead of "plastic".

Personally, I'm looking: at 1) Panasonic HDC-TM700 3 CMOS for $999 (highest rated camcorder - non pro) with the Sealux Housing for €2,060 (comes with a flip down UW filter but no White balance), or 2) Sony HDR-CX550V for $1,199 with Aquatica HD Wave housing for $2,595.

Just my ¢2

Personally, I'm looking: at 1) ... or 2) Sony HDR-CX550V for $1,199 with Aquatica HD Wave housing for $2,595.

Why do you choose this housing over an Ikelite for the same camera? Just curious!

Personally, I'm looking: at 1) Panasonic HDC-TM700 3 CMOS for $999 (highest rated camcorder - non pro) with the Sealux Housing for €2,060 (comes with a flip down UW filter but no White balance), or 2) Sony HDR-CX550V for $1,199 with Aquatica HD Wave housing for $2,595.

Just my ¢2

You really should get the one with WB capabilities! To me, the difference in your footage will be night and day.

Hi guys,

I also want to buy my first camera set and was recommended the Panasonic Lumix TZ7 for its wide angle and great under water pics from a diving instructor who was using it in thailand with I must say lots of light. Actually there now exists a connector for an external strobe. In total with the housing we are looking at 700 to 800 EUR. What do you think? Thanks for your input

Just my opinion...

GoPro HD Hero SPECS PAGE - EyeOfMine Multimedia

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/index.html#shootout

I believe the Gopro HD or Contour HD will be the U/W video setup to beat. Reason #1 Cost... #2 They have the widest native lens than any HD camcorder. The picture quality you get in a HD camcorder is degraded when you start adding a wide angle lens (the more extra glass you pile on the worst the image quality) , the Gopro HD or Contour HD does not need this add on lense.

#3 the size of the smaller cameras makes for better picture shooting angles. #4 longer battery life, since there are no battery draining motors for the zoom/auto focus and LCD monitors.

Cons: No external monitor output (not yet) and the housing makers should put a dome port on their houisings, to take advantage of the native wide angle lense.

Last edited:
but I'm not fond of multiple "o-ring" seals as they can be a potential weak point and can be more maintenance. ((I flooded two cameras due to O-ring fails)) Ken

Interesting. I have two Top Dawgs and love the double o-ring seal. In years past I did have two minor leaks (due to hairs on both of the o-rings) but I've never had a flood and neither time did the tablespoon of sea water affect my camcorder.

A word of advice... buy flood insurance. You'll never have another problem with leaks! Neither of my housings have had a problem since I did this a few years back.

Examining the O-rings carefully prior to re-seating the rear port is critical. I've taken my Top Dawgs past their rated depth (150 ft) on numerous occasions and had no problem.

By the way, I currently use a Sony HC-7 HDV in the very same Top Dawgs that have housed everything from a Sony Hi-8mm to the HC-7. Of course you still have the issue of no MWB or red filter which is a major drawback.

He Balls, did you end up making a decision? If so what offering did you choose and why?

Back
Top Bottom