What Are The Chances?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would pay ten bucks a fill if I new it was good air. I have had experiences with bad air and I would not go back to that shop. I now look for a certificate every time I get air.

Had I known Seahunter I'd have brought my tanks in on Wednesday when I was in.........Oh well......

I knew that it wasn't an original thought that I suggested, just wondered what the comparison might have been......

seahunter once bubbled...
Mold will DEFINATELY grow in a scuba tank because there is a lot of air, hence oxygen available but, you'd have to be getting very wet air.
I DO NOT want to meet up with a fungi that can thrive at 3000 Psig.

I'm no biologist but don't think mold growth is possible at that pressure.

Another related topic is the difficulty we have in getting divers to be patient enough to properly fill their tanks so when they get to the dive site, the tank is still full.

Divers are very used to getting their tanks filled in a few minutes and they complain bitterly (and rightly so) when the pressure is 200 to 300 psi less the next day.

To ensure a good fill (minimal loss) it takes 1/2 hour to fill a tank. The heat generated by the initial filling takes a very long time to dissipate and during that time the tank should be topped up regularly as the pressure drops. If you wait for the pressure to drop a lot before topping up, more heat is generated.
Water baths do not help a great deal especially with aluminum tanks. First the water bath is at room temp or higher (sometimes much higher if there's a lot of fills. Stick your hand in the water at G&S on a busy weekend in Toby).

Some stores are in the habit of filling your tank to 3200 or even more so when it cools the pressure is close to 3000. That's not only dangerous but not good for your tank either.
The only solution is to take time.
I've looked at this a lot because we fill a lot of tanks so get more than our fair share of complaints. Particularly so since we stopped overfilling. We tried filling the tanks quickly and then letting them sit with regular top ups. We tried filling them slowly and then letting them sit with regular top ups. It doesn't seem to make a difference. The heat generated is the same I suppose. With a quick fill it gets very hot but then starts to cool down right away. A slow fill if doesn't get as hot but the time to fill PLUS the time to cool is the same as with a quick fill.
A quick fill is harder on tha tank.

The answer unless someone else has some tested ideas, is to allow 1/2 hour for your fill. Fill it slowly (less than 1000psi/minute) and then let it sit with regular top ups (every 5 minutes) for 20 to 30 minutes. Anything less than that and you'll have substantial pressure loss (more than 10%).

If a diver is not prepared to wait that long then he'll have to accept that the tank pressure will drop. On the other hand, if you need every 100 psi of air in your tank to make the dive safely, perhaps you should modify at your dive plan.

I don't know gedunk but they've found animals living and growing in the deepest parts of the ocean - no light, high pressure and very cold.

The story about the spit in the tank could be an urban myth but it's very old and it's a good shocker so I'll keep telling it.

Tanks have lots of available oxygen, moisture and warmth. Does anyone know if the pressure will prohibit bacterial growth?

I don't know gedunk but they've found animals living and growing in the deepest parts of the ocean - no light, high pressure and very cold.

The story about the spit in the tank could be an urban myth but it's very old and it's a good shocker so I'll keep telling it.

Tanks have lots of available oxygen, moisture and warmth. Does anyone know if the pressure will prohibit bacterial growth?
Like i said, i'm no biologist but it seems to me the stuff in the deepest part of the ocean probably slowly evolved to survive there. Take mold or fungus that typically lives at atmospheric pressure and subject it to those pressures and i think you would have dead ala pancake mold or fungi.

Just a guess.

You're spoiling my story!
I seem to recall it happened in Florida. Does that make difference?

I notice in your signature the caption 'Go Wings'.
Surely you're not referring to the hockey team that was once quite good?
You must mean Buffalo wings which are very popular here too - especially so on the nights when we drink beer and gather to watch the Leafs win!

The answer unless someone else has some tested ideas, is to allow 1/2 hour for your fill. Fill it slowly (less than 1000psi/minute) and then let it sit with regular top ups (every 5 minutes) for 20 to 30 minutes. Anything less than that and you'll have substantial pressure loss (more than 10%).

For breathing air most cylinder manufacturers recommend a fill rate of 300-600psi/min. I get scared when I see them filled in ten seconds.

You could be referring to one of my posts...doesn't seem to matter in this shop if you take it as you wait or leave it for 48 hrs....which they really don't like you to do..........anyway enough ragging onthe LDSs............

Back
Top Bottom