What Are The Chances?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because it does it dynamically. If you look at your first post ever and last post you will have the same numbers of posts and status.....

Prpper maintanence is key,spending a couple hundred dollars every month or so in the busy season for oil and various filters is cheap in comparison to what it could cost not to do the maintanence compressors are not cheap nor are lawsuits. I have in the middle of summer stopped pumping air for a day or 2 waiting for filters to arrive, I really don't need the $5.00 that bad to chance pumping sub standard air or have a diver or staff member get injured.

Yes please Jonathan explain what you mean by 'dynamic posting'. I take it from your reply that the total number of posts I've made is equal to the number showing under my name eventually. I'm still having a problem understanding how that number stayed at 74 on 4 consecutive posts recently. Even today, my total shows an increase of one. Where did the other 3 go?

I just noticed on this thread alone that 3 of my posts show a total of 76!!

Do a search on a post you made a month ago, go look at it. Post count shows the same as on a post you made just 5 minutes ago. Status is the same, check a post I made a week ago when I was a regulator, it will show my current status, not what it was when I made the post.

WW

Right fredk!
It's a nuisance and expensive but I have to keep at least 2 filter sets (that's 2 filter cartridges at $175 each PLUS 2 separators at $49 each Plus new O rings and BU rings) on hand at all times plus a can of oil $225.
I can't go a couple of days without air. It's particularly bad when the compressor breaks down and despite the best preventative maintenance that will happen. The pressures and heat generated are incredible and occasionally something inside just gives up. Recently without warning the third stage exhaust valve simply blew out of the head. We replaced the entire head ($700) and then though it would be good to check the 4th stage because that would be the likely source of a third stage problem (don't ask - there is a logical explanation but would take too long to explain here) and discovered it was ready to blow too. The fourth stage head cost $600 so the total bill with labor came to over $1700.
This is in January when most stores are pretty quiet and daily cash flow is lower but, you have no choice.
At $5 a fill (if you can get it), the compressor will never be paid for. The diver air fills don't cover even the regular maintenance costs. The above off-season expense alone will require 340 fills.

Air fills should be $10 to $15 (the cost of 2 bar drinks). At that rate ($15) to recoup the cost of the compressor and the maintenance will require 150 fills a week every week for 5 years.
Hell of an investment Eh!
Spend $35,000 and you'll get back the money you spent in 5 years. That's assuming $15 per fill, 150 per week every week and no unforeseen expenses. No profit!!

Not complaining - just explaining!!

We have heard from other shop owners/operators, all with the same complaints re the loss learder of air, but nice to kinda see the numbers.....i would assume different systems different costs, but it does give you some sort of idea as to the costs of running the compressors for the airfills. Would it be more "profitable" ( I use the term very loosly) to fill by volume as opposed to flat rate ??.......More than likely added costs somewhere to do that also.....

Are there any stores that just specialize in air and blending?

If there are, does it help or hinder their ability to make profit by being limited to air service only?

It's been tried (volume charging) but generally it's more trouble than it's worth. To determine the amount of air sold by the tank (kinda' like propane) is a nuisance. We could make a list of different tanks with the price eg. a 63 costs $4.50; 80's are $5.00; 94's are $5.50 and so on. I'm not sure if other store owners would be interested and I'm not sure how the divers would react.
Generally it's accepted that the diver is not paying for the air but for the service i.e. the cost of compressing the air and then the act of filling. Whether I put 63 cf or 102 cf into a tank doesn't really affect my costs.
About 2 years ago we simply decided to eliminate the problem. We do not charge anything for air fills! Certified divers get free fills (max 2 a day - some instructors tried to bring in 10 -12 tanks for their classes! No surprise there!).
Having determined we were never going to make money pumping air, I figured we might as well get some good will and maybe pick up some customers too. Effectively it became an advertising expense. I have to have the compressor running anyway.
Certainly smaller compressors in smaller stores have lower costs but I think it will all come back to the same. They likely have higher maintenance because their compressors work harder plus it takes much longer to fill the bank or diver's tanks.

Far as I know no one fills tanks only. Some companies (Liquid Air, Camcarb, etc) fill tanks but not just air and not for an end user. The fills from them whether air or some other gas are not cheap.

There are lots of private scuba compressors around the province. If we could get a list of names and addresses we might be able to set something up.

I very much doubt anyone could make a living only filling tanks. Gosh divers complain about a $4 or $5 fill. That's another problem we got rid of with the free fills!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom