What are the current water temps? 11/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completed by dive of the polling/USS NH on Sunday (CAD). Temps were 46 at 80FSW. The seas were running about 6ft. While down on the wreck, the mooring line broke! I'll post more later.

man, that sounded like a great dive......not......sometimes it's better to stay @ home & catch it @ a later date......

True. It was my first dive on the Polling. After I splashed, the crew extended a pole in order to guide me to the down line. From there, I had to descend to 15ft where a deco bar was tied off. From there follow that line to the mooring line to another mooring ball at 50fsw. From there, follow the chain down to the wreck. I was on the bottom (with my buddy) for about 18 minutes. We heard a loud bang, but could not figure out what it was. When we reach our ascent pressure, we started heading up the line to the mooring ball at 50fsw. From there, we noticed that it was very slack. At first we thought we headed up a ghost line, but we really had no choice at this point. We stopped at 15fsw for our deco stop. I looked up and noticed that there was a toggle floating at the surface. Everything else (the deco bar, etc) was gone. When I surfaced, I didn't see the boat. I turned 180 degrees and she was right there about 20 feet away. Capt. Steve said the mooring line had broken under the strain. Only the 4th time in 17 years. Oh yeah, my new spg also flooded as well! So a very challenging first dive on the polling!

I was on the dive as well. I was at 45ft when I heard the bang, looked up and saw the line go slack - my instinct was to let go because I had no idea if I had anything coming my way (didn't know if it was the boat.....). Did a controlled ascent and was back on the surface in just over a minute, interestingly enough about 75-100 yards from the boat. This is when training pays off -- blew the whistle, David spotted and marked me, got to deploy the safety sausage, and floated (more like bouncing up and down) for about 10-15 minutes till Steve could make his way over to pick me up. I thought it was great, made for a memorable dive, no one got hurt, and the guys doing deco made their stops. All in all, they handled it well. Vis was pretty good on the Poling (20-25ft), and I ran into a couple of schools of pollack alongside the wreck. Diver85, that's what we call fun in New England, we don't have that nice warm year round weather....btw, checked out your pix -- very nice.

Glad everyone kept their wits and got home safely. I am sure Steve must have had a fun time locating and rounding up all the divers after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom