What are the most useful specialty courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone wrote
Don't do stupid specialties, like "boat diver"....what were they thinking making that a specialty?
To which I reply, there aren't any 'stupid specialties" just specialties that may not be taught very well.

Boat Diver -- what could be taught to make it worthwhile? Well, how about some gas management planning -- the difference between the planning for a live boat dive, moored (anchored) boat; tides, waves and currents and how they effect both the planning and the dive itself; methods of ingress/egress and why some are more reasonable depending on the diver and/or gear configuration; emergency radio use; and more. The "course" doesn't have to be just -- "The pointy end is the bow, the blunt end the stern and you pee in the head."

It depends a lot upon the instructor. An instructor who will go way further than the standard requirements for the specialty (often very thin ...) can make the dumbest-looking specialty course worthwhile. At least he (or she) will share his (or her) experience with the students.

Apart from that, I believe that the most useful "generic" specialties (ie, useful in any place) from the point of view of the student are, in that order :
1) Buoyancy (including proper descent, ascent, weighting, trim, finning ...)
2) Multilevel & computer diving (plan your dive and know what you're doing)
3) Drift (from a boat, with current, and with DSMB's deployment)
4) Nitrox (useful per se, but also good for reviewing decompression theory)
5) Deep (with good hints about SAC & gas planning, and also about deco diving, if not done before ; having to do deco stops happens and it's not a crime or a major threat)
6) Equipment (having fun & staying alive while diving depend a lot on gear).

But some others, more specific, can be a must depending on where you're diving (for example Drysuit for cold water diving).

Navigation is an important item, but I'm afraid the way navigation is taught (heavy emphasis on doing figures with a compass) is pointless in most cases. A compass is useful in real diving, but real diving is not about doing figures.

From the point of view of an instructor who wants some work teaching specialties, being Nitrox Specialty Instructor comes n°1 by far, then maybe Deep. The rest is not much asked for, in my experience (specialties are much less important than the languages). But that probably depends upon the place.

Last edited:
Someone wrote
To which I reply, there aren't any 'stupid specialties" just specialties that may not be taught very well.
Boat Diver -- what could be taught to make it worthwhile? Well, how about some gas management planning -- the difference between the planning for a live boat dive, moored (anchored) boat; tides, waves and currents and how they effect both the planning and the dive itself; methods of ingress/egress and why some are more reasonable depending on the diver and/or gear configuration; emergency radio use; and more. The "course" doesn't have to be just -- "The pointy end is the bow, the blunt end the stern and you pee in the head."

"Stabbed in the Heart", "Touche". . . I'm Guilty, not at the above statement, but I thought the same as the poster. As an old time diver, I've been disgusted by the "fraud" I've watched quick money instructors pull off. And I'll admit, the boat diver class seemed a rip off. I don't "teach" for any agency. . . But I tell every new diver on my boat, most of what you listed, except no tides. Everyone should know, but in today's climate of abandoned divers to freighted to dive. . . most of the education is suspect. Every new diver that comes to our lake in the hills, is going to solve all problems with their cell phones. . . no signals. Every business on the lake monitors the marine band radio, and has land line phones. We have to keep telling new divers every week.

Several years ago in Cozumel, a large dive shop from the U.S., with multiple "Instructors" at the end of each day of diving they would take up many tables in the restaurant and "sell" the boat diving certification, if they paid for it and the instructor would sign off. The boat instruction was from the Cozumel guides.

Another "instructor" was with 10 students. . . the instructor and students were swept by the current over a mile before they could teach themselves how and where to get out of the water. They then walked passed their dive operators shop, back to the hotel, in the front door of the hotel, then back out to the dive shop. I was headed out to a reef with two new diving friends, when we noticed the stronger than normal current, we went back to shore then up current to a better stairs to exit. The instructor was selling the current diver certification that evening.

Peter, you're an experienced diver, and a new instructor. . . Please excuse, the bad feelings a lot of old time divers have expressed, but call us out when we make stupid remarks. Keep reminding us, that an instructors ticket doesn't automatically, mean you can't dive, and you're just out for a quick buck.

There ARE some good instructors. . . they became good divers, before they became instructors. And they are still bringing in excited new divers. . . It is still exciting for me, to have a new diver thrilled to find their first fish, a freshwater jellyfish, other thrills, that make the new diver want to come back again.

I would have to say the best course ive takin would be deep. Not only was it fun to dive past 100' but you really do learn alot about emergency procedures and different kinds of diving injuries and how to avoid them. Nitrox was a good choice for me overall because many of the guys I dive with are using EAN so our bottom times will be the same.

Are you thinking of what dives to do for AOW or what specialities to get? AOW adventure dives are the first dives of specialty, not the all of the dives for a specialty. After reading through all the posts there is some confusion as some recommend adventure dives, some specialities, if you are doing AOW, you have to a deep dive, a navigation dive, and after that the choices are yours, so what specialities interest you, as the adventure dives are the foundations for the specialities. I recommend PPB to everyone, it has knowledge you will use on every dive. I enjoy teaching wreck, and if you take the specialty, on the 4th dive you do light penetration., but no penentration with the adventure dive. Do you enjoy photography? I would also recommend search and recovery, both the adventure dive and the specialty as it is a good building block to rescue.

Last edited:
Thanks, it is clearer now, I was thinking AOW requires 5 specialties! Did not realize it is only 5 dives, each of which is the first dive of a specialty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom