What are we missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We booked our first Philippine dive trip for end of May. We are going to PG for a week.

We have done the Carrib and travel a bit. This is the first trip to this region. What is different?

Any special shots?
Carry-on issues?

Anyone "medicate" for the long flight? The longest I have flown is 7 hours. This is double that! Any ideas to ease the time?

Weather 70's-90's?

Water 80-82f?

Mosquitos? Other biters?

C & D cells available?

Tipping?

Any help would be great.

I live in the Philippines Full time but am back in the states right now but I will be taking the long flight in a little less than two weeks as we head back to the Philippines. There are no issues with shots or carry-ons(other than standard TSA rules).

You have the weather right and the water temp, Some "off" or another reputable brand is advised (as a precaution). Batteries are always available but you never know about the freshness, so if you can bring some batteries.

There is no standard tipping as far as I know. Most locals will quite pleased with $10 a day for the dive crew. I ask my customers to give it straight to the crew, but some operators request it go into a common tip box...

to stay occupied you will be pleasantly surprised at the selection of in-flight entertainment(at least Cathay Pacific and Korean Air). Medicating yourself if you doc has prescribed something is not a bad idea if you have to, just be sure to bring the prescription with you....

Cheers,
Roger

220V so be careful when plug-in your electrical appliances(110V).
Mossie repellent is a must and is readily available in PG.
You only tip if you WANT TO as you are in Philippines and NOT USA. The content in the tip box does not necessary share among all the staffs!!! Please ask.
Have a good time.

I'm heading out there in a little less than a month myself.

I know there are no vaccination requirements for entry. Being paranoid, I still went to the travel medical clinc and these are the ones that were recommended for this trip:
hepatitis a/b
typhoid
tetanus

Depending on where you'll be, an anti-malarial may be called for as well. Plus all of the stuff you likely already have, flu, mmr, polio etc.

That fourteen hour flight leg has me a bit worried too. I'm bringing a stack of paperbacks, and a Kindle stuffed with the complete works of Dashiell Hammett with about ten hours of instrumental mp3's (to drown out the inevitable crying infant/bored toddler).

We booked our first Philippine dive trip for end of May. We are going to PG for a week.

We have done the Carrib and travel a bit. This is the first trip to this region. What is different?

Any special shots?
Carry-on issues?

Anyone "medicate" for the long flight? The longest I have flown is 7 hours. This is double that! Any ideas to ease the time?

Weather 70's-90's?

Water 80-82f?

Mosquitos? Other biters?

C & D cells available?

Tipping?

Any help would be great.
Carry on is always weighed for us using PAL and is limited to 7.5 kilos, about 15 lb.
May is summer time so it will be hot and of course humid. Temp probably 80's air, water maybe the same.
Oh yeah there will be lomooks (mosquitos), so bring repellent, with DEET.
I fly every year to the PI from LAX, use PAL it is a long flight for sure. I try to watch a few movies, don't drink alcohol, sleep at least 8 of those hours. I get up and walk around every couple of hours and do stretches. I alway bring my own blanket and neck brace.
If you can get to business class or first class it is definitely more comfortable.
Oh and an ipod and some damm good ear plugs as there is always that chance there will be some crying babies for 17 hours.
Batteries I have found are more expensive in the PI, best to buy here and check them in your luggage.
I'm sure you will get a lot of advice here on the forums.
Brings a few gifts for the DM's (sunglasses, chocolates, that sort of stuff).
I usually go to anialo/mabini/batangas, but really enjoy PG as it has more to offer in the way of dining/night life/bars.
Whatever you dive with, request to go to verde island, that is a must do dive. Costs a bit more, but it is well worth it.
Take care, have fun.
Oh pm me if you would like more information on PG, I am familiar a bit with Sabang/SmallLaLaguna/BigLaLaguna.

Last edited:
While at Puerto Galera, try out Hemingway's restaurant, as well as the restaurant of Atlantis resort, it has a great chef! Also, include in your diving itinerary, verde islands.

The chef at Atlantis-PG, Mick, is awesome. The best part is that he's also a great diver.

Not sure where you are staying, but take a walk to the point bar for drinks and especially the Thursday night BBQ. My favorite is the full moon bar, happy hour from 5pm-10pm, san mig cold for 35 pesos, great view, laid back, serves decent food as well.

incidentally, from Manila international airport, there is a 2 1/2 road trip to Batangas Pier where you then take a ferry ride to Puerto Galera, so make sure that you've made the necessary arrangements with your resort regarding the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom