What are you suppose to learn in your first sidemount class ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you every body.

well, just to clarify, althought my instructor was not on the same level as lamar hire, steve martin, Brian Kakuk , Steve Lewis and so on (appologize if i forgot others ), yet i belive he was good enough, eventhough this is my first course with him. i was told the official manuals are not released yet so its more of a personal effort trying to teach this course.

we done a throey class, pool session and a beach dive where we repeated all the tasks done in the pool but in open water.

im just disappointed by the content of the course or maybe i had high hopes. we done most of the drills mentioned above and im happy that i signed for this course yet there is something just doesn't fell right.

i was told the official manuals are not released yet so its more of a personal effort trying to teach this course.
I am not sure what course you took. On one hand, it sounds like the PADI (Recreational) Sidemount Diver course, for which the student manuals will not be released until end of 1Q2014. BUT, the Instructor manuals have been available for some time, so there shouldn't have been a huge 'personal effort trying to teach' that course.
im just disappointed by the content of the course or maybe i had high hopes. we done most of the drills mentioned above and im happy that i signed for this course yet there is something just doesn't fell right. . . . only thing i think was useful was preparing tanks with choker and straps which only took less than 5 min?
Out of curiosity, what were your 'hopes' for the course? Is there something you expected (beyond / in addition to a visceral 'ah-hah' experience) that you were not exposed to? I am not saying the 'ah-hah' experience isn't a positive part, but rather I am interested in what you would have liked to have had included.

Several of related questions:

1. Did you already have backmounted doubles diving experience, or was this your first foray into doubles.
2. What was your prior exposure to sidemount - diving sidemounted cylinders, observing sidemount divers, talking with SM divers, etc?
3. Why did you decide to take a sidemount course?
4. Since you made reference to both doing prior research, and the 'price of the course', what did you pay for the course?

Please understand, I am not challenging or dismissing your expressed concern. I am trying to broaden my understanding of the background and expectations of divers who take a sidemount course, and be able to better anticipate their expectations.

I run three (soon to be four) different sidemount classes; so the content and scope obviously differs depending on which class we're talking about. I'll assume a 'basic' sidemount class; such as the PADI Sidemount Diver, is the object of discussion here.

I've seen enormous variation in the quality and breadth of sidemount training given - primarily determined by the instructor's own experience with sidemount, or lack of. As others have noticed, there's recently been a lot of fast-tracking to sidemount instructor qualifications and that has somewhat saturated the market with sidemount instructors who lack any real expertise. A truly expert sidemount instructor; one who has 0,000's of sidemount dives experience (rather than a '3-day conversion') is able to configure, customize and optimize a rig very efficiently, dealing with a myriad of variables personal to the student and the specific rig they've elected to dive. They will be able to translate fundamental diving skills, at a superior level, from backmount to sidemount - enabling the student to gain an immediate appreciation into the benefits of the system and what it is meant to provide them with (sheer enjoyment). They will also understand the needs of the particular student, enabling them to emphasize the focus of training towards the actual needs of the student, at whatever level of diving they participate in.

My own 'basic' sidemount course currently takes, on average (no set timescale - performance based) four days. It starts with a 1/2 day (morning) theory session that outlines the history and development of sidemount, the key concepts, pros and cons, gas management, dive planning, varied approaches and philosophies, equipment configurations, fundamental diving skills, diving ancillary equipment use/stowage and and contingency protocols. I then spend a full day (afternoon and morning) on equipment set-up, adjustment and customization; for whatever rig/s the students are using. I've taught many courses for Razor, Stealth, Hollis (SMS50 and 100), UTD Z-Trim, OMS Profile adaptions, Sublevel etc (primarily warm-water/ali-cylinder approaches).

We then go to the pool for a full afternoon of confined water training; typically 4-5 hours of intense work. This begins with initial water comfort, buoyancy, trim and propulsion. During this phase, we will hop out of the pool and make tweaks should any further equipment adjustments prove necessary. I teach helicopter turn, back-kick and horizontal ascent/descent procedures (inc. bubble check/s-drill) to enable the student to better retain horizontal trim and control when maneuvering...and for accurate stops/hovers. We then cover core equipment use skills - regulator switching, cylinder handling underwater, cylinder trim adjustment (aluminum cylinders), communications (signalling), ancillary equipment access, regulator hose management and stowage. That is followed by contingency/emergency protocols; air-sharing long hose, valve shut-down single and complete valve drill and valve feathering. During the session, we cover several water entry/exit techniques and kit/de-kit (cylinders) in the water at the surface and submerged. I also run several drills aimed at promoting a high level of equipment familiarity and muscle memory, to enable deft manipulation of the kit in-water. For those that require it, I also add DSMB deployment as a skill.

Then follows 2 days of open water diving, during which students increasingly take responsibility for planning and managing the dive (all done on local wrecks); including dive planning, gas management, navigation and team skills. In addition to further skill and drill repetition, there are numerous impromptu emergency scenarios (as some might recognize from tech-level training). Dives are recorded on video for analysis, with team-focused de-briefing.

attachment.php

Sidemount student on initial descent, first open water sidemount dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom