What are your buddy "requirements"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my four OW dives to do but I already have a small group of people gathered that want to dive with me.

One, a gal who belongs to the same club I do. She's seen my progression during my CW classes and as I exited the pool Saturday commented on how good I did the session #5 requirements and how my skills are improving. She said that she'd be happy to dive with me once I'm certified.

Two co-workers. One already certified, another planning on taking classes.

A close friend of mine who has several certificates. In fact the two of us are getting together Saturday to work together so he has a good understanding of my abilities and I know what to expect from him. It should be fun, challenging, and educational.

As for me? When (If) I pass my OW dives, I would be happy to dive with anyone who:
1) understands my abilities. I can tow a diver. I did 75 meters in class, but can't lift anyone out of the water and need to make that clear to any potential dive buddy. If that person is okay with my disability then I'll dive with them.
2) shows proper proceedure and knowledge. I want to dive for fun. I understand the risks. I don't want to dive with anyone who makes a habit of diving beyond what conditions warrant and what their abilities can handle.
3) has proper working equipment. Diving is dangerous (Or can be) why compound the hazaards with improperly working or missing safety gear or life support gear.

Because of my disability, I expect people to not want to dive with me. Frankly I'm very okay with that. Diving is about having fun, not about spending an entire dive completely freaked out that something may happen to the gimp you're with leaving you in a scary and dangerous situation.

If another disabled diver approached me looking for a dive buddy I'd be concerned. Maybe I'd ask a friend who's isn't disabled along just for safety?

Long story short? Too late, I know. Don't go putting yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable.

guerosd once bubbled...
The only certification that IMHO means anything is DIR Fundamentals (let the flame wars begin)... At least you are ensured of some level of competant bouyancy control and ability to do a proper air share. Thats very hit or miss w/ other dive organizations.

It was my impression that there was no such thing as a DIRF certification. It's just a class.. no cards, no certificates.

Did I miss something? Can't someone have taken DIRF and not gotten much out of it? Just taking the class doesn't mean you're a good diver, right?

jonnythan once bubbled...

It was my impression that there was no such thing as a DIRF certification. It's just a class.. no cards, no certificates.

You are correct... no "cert". But you do get to eat a good dose of humble pie from the instructor. Knowing what yer bad at and what its "supposed" to look like is the value of the class. They give you HARD feedback which is something I never got in other classes.

Taking the class is no guarantee that your a good diver (whatever that is) but your'e definately better for the experience.

Is it true that you do not get a certification card or certificate when yu take a DIRF class...if not there are huge klegal ramifications to that. they are not taking any legal responsability for what they teach, there is more too, but i need to digest soe of that.

well back to topic. how do i pick a dive buddy.
first there is a big differnce between who i will dive with and who i consider a dive buddy.

I will dive with anybody, at any level or ability the question is will i be baby sitting them or will we be diving together both of us solo.
the nebbies, tourist, and students are obvious but the non babysitting type are not so obvious yet might simple be someone i am doing a jump with who by reputation is capable of the dive, but i don't know them that well. I make sure that i can do the dive solo, i think of myself doing it solo, and if something goes wrong for him I am prepared to assist, if something goes wrong for me, i can self manage it, if they assist then thats a bonus.

A dive buddy on the other hand can only be NON DIR, no just kidding...the list of qualifications is probably very long and some of them are subconctouse.
thinking about how i would describe them I would have to first qualify myself as a dive snob...yep a total dive snob...

My dive buddies are my best friends, we get drunk together, we fight together, we trust our lives to each other. we share naked pictures of our girlfriends. we are of the same mind set above water and under water. we can communicate without words, we know each others thoughts by looking at their profile in the water, their eyes and even their bubbles. we have the same diving goals without even having to say it.

I have two maybe three dive buddies in the world, one i dive with every weekend and the other two not as often as i would like.

dive snonb, i sghould change my handle from AquaTec to Dive Snob =-)

My dive buddies are my best friends, we get drunk together, we fight together, we trust our lives to each other. we share naked pictures of our girlfriends. we are of the same mind set above water and under water. we can communicate without words, we know each others thoughts by looking at their profile in the water, their eyes and even their bubbles. we have the same diving goals without even having to say it.
Can I be one of your dive buddies? Just email me all the naked pictures and I will send some of my g/f (once I find one)...I promise :wink:

O-ring you missed the part about non DIR. to bad cause i have some great pics dude

we call our little digital cameras "The Collector" mine is water proof so it works well in the hot tub or bath too

O-ring you missed the part about non DIR.
I'm not DIR...just send the pics so I can make sure you are doing "it" right...

OK when i get home tonight i will send you one via pm

ahhh any easy wayto get you to denounce DIR,,,, bribery

You don't have to send me one...just make sure you are using a long hose and maintain good horizontal trim :wink:

Lets see.... She has to be cute, about this high, dive like a mermaid, smile at me every now and then, be a member of SCUBA Board and be the mother of my children. :)

Otherwise, I have discovered that it is nice if they show up with all of their gear, can dive in a semi-straight line rather than in continuous circles, don't totally dredge the bottom, look in my direction every once in a while, don't wander off without me, know how to share air, don't take off into the dismal deep expecting me to follow in violation of the dive plan, feel comfortable enough in their abilities to call a dive when appropriate and don't press me to dive when I feel uncomfortable or press to continue when I call the dive, we can usually get along alright. :)

Back
Top Bottom