What bcd fits more muscular build (broader shoulders smaller waist)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider:
What are your opinions on buying a used bcd? Say for instance I could get a used zeagle ranger ltd in size large that had 25 fresh water dives on it for about half the price ($350). Would this be better than buying something like the brigade from scuba toys for $400? What should I look for in a used bcd to make sure I don't get screwed buying a bad one? How long do these bcds last? What needs maintenance on them and how often?

Personally I have no problem with a used BCD if you buy it locally (so you can inspect it). I got my BCD that way, from another diver I knew.

You can do checks with the BCD to confirm that it's ok. I've listed the ones I can think of below:

Check there are no patches or excess wear on the outside of it.

Inflate it and leave it for an hour or two to see if it holds air (you can also weight it and submerge it to look for leaks).

Deflate it but leave it the inflator connected to the air supply and leave it for a while to see if the inflator valve leaks (causing the BCD to inflate over time).

Also check the operation of the dump valve(s). Check that the velcro and integrated weight pockets are not worn or sloppy.

If you want to be really sure, have the inflator serviced as well.

I'm not sure about the expected life of a BCD, but it's likely to be a long time with careful use and storage. IMO the main life limiting factor is likely to be degradation of the material due to UV, Ozone or Chlorine, so storage is very important.

Personally I get my inflator serviced every year. But that's because I'm a conservative soul. I'm not sure yearly servicing is strictly necessary.

i have a seaquest pro unlimted and are so happy with it i just bought my second one in a different size. can only recommend them. no problems whatsoever.

I have the Glide Plus.. Using the integrated weight pockets will DEFINITELY help with the BC riding up... It can be made to trim out very nice. You do not need to add a crotch strap.

If you tighten the cumberbund (sp?) and leave the outer strap loose, it will not "squeeze" you when inflated.

That said.. I also have a BP/W.. The Glide Plus is going for sale.. Size XL..

It is good that you are seeking information.. Not all instructors will give you the correct information to make the right gear choice..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom