What BCD to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
I am upgrading my bcd and was hoping for some advice, I'm looking at Mares or Scubapro. I am an Instructor so dive fair bet, but it also needs to be light wight for travelling. If anyone has a new mares or scubapro bcd, i'd love some feed back.
cheers
Gark

I've tried both, and chose Scubapro's Glide. . . I have shoulder trouble and the Scubapro design fit me better. I did dive a couple of Mares and they were good, a little less expensive, but didn't fit me quite as well. . . If you're over 60 my observation may fit you, also. You really need to try BC's in the water to know your best fit.

I personally prefer scubapro T-black, just love the style and the air capacity...

Hey Gerklaw. .

I use the Marse Icon bcd. . I really enjoy it as it is a light bc
made for travelles. . It is back invlation wich i find more
comfortable. . You can also remove the bladder and then just
have a harness that you can use. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I am an instructor too and I use a Mares Vector 1000 MRS
The BCD is traditional and probably I would not use it if I was not teaching however when you are in this line of business you have to consider:
1. That is better to have gear that is similar to the one the rental student has so in one word simple
2. You definitely need a BCD with pockets as well as trim weights so that when you demonstrate hovering or teach buoyancy you have many options to show together with the belt
3. You need something sturdy
4. You need comfort and the Vector has a good cushion on the back
5. Last but not least you need massive pockets if you don't want to look like a Christmas three
I am in the water with by huge SMB (AP Valves Buddy), a pocket reel, a knife, slates, spare torch, pocket mask
AND ALL FITS INTO THE POCKETS

I have tried other BCD for teaching and the pockets were tiny, to teach you don't need super cool equipment just something that does the job

Final note it weights 3.6 Kg is not very light but not too heavy and I would not opt for a travel version with tiny pockets to teach

Back
Top Bottom