What brand would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my OW dives you would thought that Zeagle & Oceanic had just offered the deal of the century as the instructors & DM were all using these products (which of course are product lines offered by that shop). When I did my AOW the instructor & DMS were a little more varied (most had ScubaPro regs but some had BCs, some BP/W setups).

As far as quality goes I'm inclined to think you can't go wrong with any of the major brands but finding the gear that's right for you (fit, comfort & performance) will take a little research and patience. I'd agree 100% with the others that suggest check what's readily available/serviceable where you are & talk to local divers - most would be happy to share their thoughts on gear.

Have fun!

There is no brand of mask that is better than others. The best mask is the one that fits you best. My wife's mask is one of the more expensive ones and mine is one of the cheapest ones. They are both "best" for us because they are the ones that fit us best (and have the features we want/don't want).

Snorkels are similar. Brand is less important than features. BTW, more features does not make something better. My snorkel is pretty much a short tube with a mouthpiece.

BCD... Rent this for a couple dive trips until you have seen enough of them and have talked with people about what they think of their BCD. Most importantly for you is to listen to why they selected the BCD and not what they bought.

As for regulators, my choice is to go with something my LDS supports. That way I can get it fixed and maintained easier. You will want your regulators serviced every year.

In the end, I suggest you first find a mask that fits and get fins and snorkel. After that, look into regulators and computer. BCD and other items come after that.

There are lots of considerations when purchasing gear: price, ease of servicing, perfect fit and comfort, etc. You've indicated that you want to go for gear that 'grows' with you, rather than buying an entry-level set of gear and upgrading it as your experience/diving needs grow. That's great - I wish I had done the same. For example, my first regulator featured a balanced first stage and an unbalanced second stage. The darn thing was near indestructable and worked fine on dives above 60-feet, but anything deeper was a pain in the proverbial. Plus, when I started assembling gear for cave training - something I would have never forseen when I was choosing my first set of gear - it became plain that my first choice of regulator simply wouldn't do.

The major brands you see advertised (which include but are not limited to) Aeris, Apeks, Aqualung, Cressi, DiveRite, Hollis, Mares, Oceanic, Poseidon, Scubapro, and Zeagle - all make safe, reliable equipment. Providing the gear is serviced properly and maintained correctly, your gear should last for years and work perfectly. Some of these manufacturers are more heavily tilted to the technical diving communities, and may have more firepower than you actually need.

People have very definate ideas about the manufacturers they favor. I do believe that some brands are better than others for certain things. For example, I think Cressi and Mares make wonderful masks and fins (the result of years of experience serving generations of Mediterannean freedivers!), but I am not a fan of their regulators or electronics (computers and the like). Other people are, though, and that's fine. I'm willing to bet your final gear configuration will be a mix and match of brands, as you find out what's best for you. For example, you may end up with a Bare wetsuit, a Scubapro reg, an Oceanic dive computer, a Cressi mask, and Aqualung fins. Whatever works!

Be sure to find gear that can be serviced without too much hassle. (For instance, Sweden's Poseidon makes amazing dive equipment, but their US presence, while improving, is not brilliant, rendering the annual service an ordeal.) Note that there's a lot of cross-over between brands, so if your dive shop can service an Oceanic regulator, it's safe to assume they can also handle Aeris and Hollis regs, for example.

Play around as much as you can. If your LDS will let you trial equipment before purchasing, that's fantastic. See if you can talk to as many divers as you can about their equipoment while diving - most folk love nattering about their equipment, and hardly need prompting to do so. Also never underestimate other divers' generosity...many times I've been on a diveboat, heard divers remarking on each other's gear, and hastily switching fins (or whatever) so the other party can try them out before deciding whether or not to purchase.

Please also don't look upon your first equipment purchase as the only gear you'll ever have (it would be nice, but it's seldom the way it works!) Chances are that sometime in your diving career, you'll become enamoured of someone else's mask, fins, regulator, or whatever, and make the purchase. I bet there's more than a handful of divers on this board that own more than one of each item...

Last edited:
something I would have never forseen when I was choosing my first set of gear
That's the real rub, ain't it? My first purchases have now become spares for my friends who have malfunctioning equipment.

None of us own a crystal ball. We really don't know where we will be in even five years time. Buying the BEST that you can afford always makes sense. I bought my first pair of Jet Fins in 1969 with a friend (I think his were Rocket Fins). When I got back into diving, I let my instructor have the Rocket Fins and I tried to make the Jet Fins work. Hey, I was 12 when I bought them, and my feet have grown. So now my daughter uses them. They were cutting edge back then and hey, I still dive a FAR LARGER pair now. Some things are timeless.

Buy the best you can afford, but don't feel bad if you can't afford the "best". Due to modern materials and modern manufacturing techniques, even the low end stuff from any major Scuba manufacturer is better than the high-end gear that was available to me 30 years ago, when I started diving.

Some people here recommend buying more expensive gear rather than entry level so that it is "future proof"... I don't think I share that opinion. In the future when one gets more experience and preferences are well established they may not make the choices they make today in which case spending a lot of money upfront would be an expensive mistake. I think it's best to buy entry level equipment and then upgrade later when you know exactly how much you dive, what kind of diving, where you dive etc. and buy the best equipment that suits that.

Comments? :)

Exactly right. This is a new diver in warm water and we don't know his budget or even where he lives, but that is EXACTLY what he needs. </snark>

How about this idea........

Poke around on this board for brand ideas of various pieces of gear. Look at your LDS and others in your area. Ask questions.

Bring some specific brand questions and suggestions from your LDS back to this board and various threads for specific feedback.

As said above, much depends on what type of diving you will be doing and how often. Warranties that are valid and easily "redeemed" is crucial. Gear that can be serviced where you travel is a serious consideration. For example I travel often to Bonaire but prefer Oceanic gear. There is only one guy on Bonaire who handles this line at all and then not fully. I would be better off with ScubaPro for example from that standpoint.

So.... do some research and get back to this board for more specific guidance.

Exactly right. This is a new diver in warm water and we don't know his budget or even where he lives, but that is EXACTLY what he needs. </snark>

What do you expect from a 16 year old "playing" SB like it was some on-line fantasy game?

Back
Top Bottom