What brand would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but some operators provide very good equipment to rent and try out for preference. Obviously you would have to listen to the different preferences that everyone may provide. I did this on my last BC and really was able to see give it a wet run, making me get that wet run with it.

ALSO and very important that most dive operators sell their rental gear annualy and this is another way of getting quality gear at a great price. That's if you want to go that route.

Either way keep searching and asking in the forum.

I am planing to spend about 2000 +-.

BC's the Power inflator is what is most likely to fail, those are standardized so would get whats most comfortable and best build.(I prefer Zeagle). Reg get what works best for you and what is most servicable for the areas you frequent.(I recommend Oceanic's better regs, Aqualung's better regs, scubapro, Apex, or aries, but most majro MFG's are good) Computer main thing is its reliable User replaceable batteries and nitrox compatible so you dont outgrow it kinda quick by getting a nitrox cert.( Suunto and oceanic are the better ones for this, scuba pro/uwatec is usually tech battery change)

The only two items I don't regret buying from my first round of puchases are my:

MK17 G250V Scuba Pro Reg with a R295 back up & my Atomic Frameless Mask

Neither are cheap, neither are entry gear - and neither have limited my diving potential.

If you do a search you will find - both are highly recommended & both are excellent!

Since you clearly state you intend to do warm water diving - any brand of regulator will do what you need it to do. It is not until you start pushing into colder water that the more advanced regulators are required. Without getting into all the differences (piston vs. diaphragm, balanced vs. unbalanced etc...) of regulators, it is a mistake to go simply for a particular brand.

As I've already stated, all modern regulators will work in warm water. In many cases, less expensive ones will perform much better than expensive ones in particular situations. One fine example is "any regulator" vs. the Poseidon Jetstream series... which performs much better at deeper depths than it does on shallow dives.

With all that said, and if budget is of no concern then consider the following... some older (pre-owned) regulators will outperform their newer replacements. Within the Scubapro family... pick up an older MK20 or MK25 with a G250-HP second stage. It will outperform all the new junk Scubapro is making these days.

Avoid high priced junk such as Atomic.

If you want to spend a lot of money for spending money sake - then look at Apeks regulators. They're probably the top tier in the world right now.

If you want matching quality at a better price... consider Dive Rite regulators such as the RG3000 with or w/o ice kit or even the Hurricane.

From there, Look at other brands such as Cressi's MC5 Ellipse series (in black or steel.) This is the regulator I dive worldwide... and it costs less than $300.00. It is the smoothest, best breathing regulator on the market... which doesn't matter in warm water - but might in cold water. This easy breathing makes it slightly more susceptible to free flow in icing conditions... but in warm water, a no worries... top notch performer.

There are so many choices out there... and so many opinions... and so many variables... that making the choice is hard for a newbie.

Consider these things:
1. Where will you be diving (warm, cold or both)
2. Jaw fatigue (the smaller lighter weight second stages can reduce or elimnate this)
3. Adjustments (nice to have flow control for stressful (current) diving)
4. Ease of getting service done (is it serviceable locally?)
5. Company (length of time in business, parts availability going forward.)

I hope this has helped a little... you're always welcome to call for more assistance...

Cheers

Hi I just became diver, and want to buy equipment but don't know which brand is good. I am looking to buy, regulators, BC, compiuter.

I have been a big fan in the past about Aires (I think its spelled that way) and the sister company oceanic. The BCD I have is a coral and overall I love it. The only thing is when I lost one of the weight pouches that are supposed to be easy to replace they stated they were out of stock for over 2 months. Now they did manage to find one somewhere and ship it to me.

If they still made the coral it would be my recommendation for everyone.

But each individual piece of equipment has its own uniqueness so theres no way I can recommend just one company.

When my wife and I purchased our stuff, we found a package deal with most of the stuff we were looking for on Scubatoys.com (the everything Zeagle package) and went to our LDS to see if he could match the deal. He did, and being a Zeagle dealer, we can get our stuff serviced under warranty locally. Our friends got there stuff online, and the nearest Mares service place is 250 miles away.

Someone might want to point him to the "What did you buy that you regret" thread. I don't know how to add the link here, but it has some valuable and money saving information.
As for my own .02, join a local dive club ASAP. The divers who are active in the club will most likely have frequent dive outings in which you can try out different gear. There is usually no shortage of opinions about specific brands when you get a group of divers together. The bonus is that you will find out what works in the environment in which you will do most of your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom