What camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that 8000 looks amazing, that was the first choice and i will probably stick with it.

Great pics ROgue. Care to post a short review on this camera? I'm sure it would be of great use to many looking at purchasing one.

Would ikelite housing be the best option for the tough 8000 below 33'?

For a brand new diver, my best camera suggestion is actually no camera. I know, that is not what you want to hear, but its still my best advice. Go dive the Red Sea and enjoy the diving first.

Take a few dives to enjoy the environment and get comfortable with your gear before adding something like a camera to your collection of things to pay attention to. Once your buoyancy control is something that happens naturally, then add a camera.

Doug

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Course Director defines the various certification levels as follows:
Open Water: "I'm breathing. I'm alive. I'm breathing. I'm alive."
Advanced Open Water: "I'm breathing. I'm alive. I'm breathing. Look! A fish!"
Rescue Diver: "I'm breathing. Pretty fish. I'm alive. I'm breathing. WOW, I have a buddy!"

Yeah, nice pics Rogue!

Mitchel I'd go for the Ikelite with the 8000... looks like a great camera! I have an Olympus, not this one, and it works fine.

Welcome to a great board.

When I was looking around I almost bought a Panasonic PS in a Panasonic housing. There are newer Panasonics than this report on the TZ3 but might be worthwhile having a read the quality of the shots is great. Panasonic underwater housing review

BTW the Tough 8000 that ROuge reports on above looks like a pretty good starting place. I suggest you do not buy a DSLR or a G10 until you are both comfortable with UW photography and want to improve. You could waste a lot of money on something you become bored with carrying.

I did get the Olympus Tough 8000 and promised to post back when I had used it a little.

I don't regret buying it at all. Definitely works as advertised - in the pool/at the beach without a housing, and got the underwater housing down to 132' on the Oriskany last week. Spending more time on video that photography, but will play around with that more later.

I posted a few videos and a longer review of the camera here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/298663-oly-tough-8000-videos-quick-review.html

All these great posts have pushed me to try for the 8000

Thank you all so much.

Just remember the 30ft depth on the tough8000 and remember you dont have a housing incase it bumps into anything. To the person looking at the Panasonic unless they have change, dont my parents have TZ5 and kinda fuzzy pics compared to my Oly stylus410 and their housing was over twice what i paid.... im kinda thinking 3x's what i paid but not sure. Price housings before you buy a cam just so you dont end up like them theirs was like 270 and i think mine was like 80 or 100. My advice is check what cams you like get a list of like 5-10 then price housings and buy what fits in your budget and has the performance you like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom