What can I carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieMc5280

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am flying out on Monday, Denver to Costa Rica with a connection in Houston- here’s the catch, I’m flying Southwest. I am so hesitant to check a bag but I want to bring my suit, booties, fins, mask & snorkel. I have a mesh dive backpack and everything fits with room. Do you think I’ll have any trouble carrying this on as my personal item?

I believe the general idea is your personal item can fit under the seat in front of you. That may be tough with fins.

Unless your feet are a weird size, I would just rent fins.

I just flew to Hawaii with American Airlines, and I carried my full face mask, regulators, wet suit, booties, and BCD with me as carry on, had to leave my dive knife behind!! I had absolutely no problems with the air line or the security people, so you should probably be okay, as stated it has to fit in the allowed carry-on size and weight limits For your particular airline.. I rented weights at my destination along with Nitrox gas tanks.

Thank you! All of this is very helpful! I’m going to chance it and it I need to gate check it, so be it- I’ll grab it in the jetway when we land. Fingers crossed I get out of Denver on Monday!

Flew United last month, carried my fins strapped to the side of my backpack (containing regs, wet suit, computers, masks, boots) which fit under the seat in front of me, plus a suitcase (containing BCD, DSMB, gas analyzers, Save A Dive kit) in my suitcase in the overhead bin. Had to take my multi-tool and 6" adjustable wrench out of SAD kit and put in checked bag with my regular clothing. TSA guy in Newark looked through SAD kit and asked what stuff was but TSA in Key West didn't question anything. Other than that, no problems.

Thank you! All of this is very helpful! I’m going to chance it and it I need to gate check it, so be it- I’ll grab it in the jetway when we land. Fingers crossed I get out of Denver on Monday!
Mesh backpack with a drawstring top? Do you really want to gate check it? Wonder if it’s sturdy enough.

Mesh backpack with a drawstring top? Do you really want to gate check it? Wonder if it’s sturdy enough.
Obviously that would be worst case scenario, but I just measured top to bottom fully extended and it 26”with room to roll the top down, I think I will be fine. If nothing else, I’ll bring some Starbucks gift cards for the crew and maybe throw my fins on top of my roller bag in the overhead.

I love Southwest because they include checked bags in their base price. Why not take advantage of that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom