What can you tell me about Great Lakes diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom Times out of Brockville (with Evan and Anick) get my thumbs up any time. They are who I use anytime I want to dive that area. Trying out a charter company in Kingston that they recommended at the end of the month - should be great. A few of us are meeting in Kingston to do a 2-tank day. Boy am I counting the days (I only have an OW class to DM from now 'til then, so I'm itching to get wet) The wrecks are up for discussion. Any suggestions?

As was said by Ontario Diver, each of the Great Lakes is a bit different. The only similarity that they have is that they're all fresh water. They all have thermoclines to deal with, but with the cold deep water most of the wrecks are reasonably well preserved. Then we have the "famous" brown fish, green fish and don't forget the elusive brown & green fish (lolol). Well they do look like that, though I have friends who have taken powerful lights with them and they claim that the fish have more colour.

Enjoy, if you head up my neck of the woods St Lawrence / Lake Ontario, drop a line, perhaps we could get some of the other Neptune Divers together for a dive (or two or ...)

DivingGal,
Were you the one I was talking to about a month ago about bottom time charters. I think you were, anyway thanks for the great advise. They made my trip up there well worth it. They were so much better then the charter I usually take.

Who did they recommend in Kingston for you to dive with?
Good wrecks to check out in Kingston if you havent done them yet are the Marsh, Sheboygan (which is not really Kingston but most dive shops will take you), Munson, Davie, Wolf Islander II is a fun dive but was intentionaly sunk, it also makes a great dive for those rough weather days. Aloha/Effie Mae are all right but I would never do them again (boring). Me and about 6 other freinds are coming up during the week of the 16th. So let me know how your charter went before I go up because I trust your judgement in dive charters and would like to try the charter your taking. We usually dive with Limestone Dive Shop which I havent had any complaints about yet. Nothing compared to the way Evan treated us though.
Thanks again for the great advise!!!!

You are most welcome for the referal. When you find a good operator you stick with them. Our chat was just before August 25th - you were going to dive the Keystorm (and Vickery (?)).

Glad you enjoyed the trip with Bottom Times. They recommended "Big Jims" (http://dive.kingston.net/bigjim.htm) The group is meeting for Sep 29th. The wrecks we'll be doing - that's up to discussion somewhat. One diver is insisting we do the Wolfe -- still a fun dive. As for the other I'm leaning for the Sheboygan or the Munsen. Some of us are talking about staying on for the 30th and doing another two dive. So far just two of us are confirmed, though I have talked to other divers who are interested.

As for charters in Kingston, I haven't heard anything bad about Limestone, in fact they've helped me out with tracking down equipment, and they are the ones recommended by Big Jim's for equipment rentals (as they don't do it themselves).

Do drop a line and let me know how the dive goes.

If you need some more divers to join your charter let me know. I could get as many or as little as you want. Otherwise I'll just throw together something else. The Wolf Islander and the Munson/Sheboygan sound good.
We did end up diving the Vic and the Keystorm. We took a bunch of divers up with us that have only dove warm water reefs and believe it or not they loved it. The only problem was I couldnt dive the way I wanted to. I dove with a friend who dove with a single tank when I was diving with doubles. So basically I couldnt get the bottom time that I wanted to and just dove the same set of tanks for both dives. It was fun though to see his facial expression after we came up because it was the first 2 wrecks he has ever dove. I sacraficed my dives to make some one elses more enjoyable. It made me feel good. I think I would only do this for someone on wrecks that I have dove more then once. It was like my 10th time on each one of those wrecks.

I'll send you more info through e-mail. Could be yet another meeting of Neptune Divers!

Hi there.. We just got back from Whitefish pt in Lake superior. Water temp was about 36 deg's and about 40 ft vis. We dove the "Vienna" which was in 144ft of water and the vis was very good on this wreck, but was the only one we did that day because there was about 7 to 8 ft waves. On sunday the "Osborne" was our first dive and over the bow we went, 165 ft to the bottom. Others got 168 at the stern but so what. The Teck divers on tri-mix went into the ship since it is all intact except the very back. They got 174ft inside the ship because of it settling. Not a one zebra muscle was spotted and that was a very good thing. Awsome diving but I will admit that I have never been that narked in any other deep dive that I have done. That was the deepest that I have gone up to this point. Awsome diving though, even the broken up shallower wrecks. We have been doing some charters off of Port Sanilac on Lake Huron and have had a great time. We were right out in the shipping channels and had a frieghter come close enough to shake hands with the crew. Word is that they hate the fact that they; a 1000ft freighter, have to move for a little dive boat. There is a couple of ships that sank in the Great storm of 1913. Also a tug boat that is 100% intact. Three weeks ago we dove the new york a steamer that sank and is still plying the waters of davie jones locker. This wreck is in 117 ft of water.. The vis was good but the shallower wreck the Williams had the thermocline right on the deck and the vis was awful even though it was in 85 feet of water. I know when you dive the Great Lakes you will be addicted..... Happy diving Jeff (Greatlakes diver)

Hey Lost Yooper! Do you dive the Straits quite a bit? Do you know a good charter up that way? We dove off the wreckquest out of Traverse City in the lower while up in Whitefish pt.. Let me know.. Thanks Jeff(GLD)

Check out http://www.hurondiver.org It's the newest underwater preserve in the Great Lakes. My favorite site so far is Mackinac. You may want to give it a try though its season is about finished for this year.

Jeff,

The absolute best charter I've seen is Abyss Divers based out of Grand Rapids. They service both Whitefish and the Straits. They have three boats -- two are/were in service -- and they are superbly outfitted for diving. They do both recreational and tech stuff and are absolutley fabulous guys to hang out with. In fact, they have asked me to divemaster for their tech charters next season. I'm not exactly sure how that will work yet -- tech dive master (??).

Here is the e-mail addresses for Dan Block -- captain and co owner of Abyss Divers:

Diveabyss@aol.com

dblock@steelcase.com

Tell them Mike Wood from Marquette referred ya.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom