What cards to take to Mexico??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delta74, There have been long threads about this on "Going Pro" and I think one on the Instructor Forum. As mentioned here, there is also extensive stuff on what a pro on vacation is responsible for legally as opposed to other divers. There are no definate answers on that, though many differing opinions on law suits, etc. I've only been a DM long enough to show the card once, but that was to assist in a class. I think the vast majority of reports say that getting paired up with a newbie is not something that will happen unless you want it to. The regular DMs do that, or the newbie can hire one to dive with them. The only other cards I take are Deep & Nitrox, as that covers everything--since I don't plan on penetrating a wreck that one isn't needed.

Instructor, Nitrox Instructor, Helitrox. Only way I will allow someone to pair me up with a new diver is if they agree to pay me, comp my trip, and sign a waiver that I carry. I will dive with a new person if they ask me and it does not interfere with my dive plan. I will not allow a an op to assign me someone.

thanks for the input folks, guess its the DM and nitrox, will leave the rest at home, lord knows there expensive to replace if you lose them.

DM & Nitrox. Rarely is there the expectation from the local dive leader that you would be asked to act in a professional capacity with "his clients".

Same here. DM and nitrox. Cavern or cave "if needed" for cenotes

I am just glad if a charter even looks at my C card.

Oh..went to Coz Sept 2011. Ran out of cash. Went to ATM. It refused my bank card..why? Because I left the NEW one at home and mine had expired during the trip. Pure brilliance on my part.

Had to beg one of the banks for an advance on a credit card.

Dave.

DM cards are common and may not indicate how active or current a diver is. The OP I use in Coz takes everyone on a checkout dive to make sure they are comfortable in the water. You need at least AOW as some OPs require that for deeper dives, not Coz however as everything is Deep!

Sounds like a great trip. I go to Coz/Cun every January. I highly recommend Aldora in Coz and, after all of the CO issues that have come up, I don't know if I would dive with another shop there. You will be disappointed by the diving in Cancun if you hit Cozumel first - less viz, less sealife, less interesting coral. You will want to avoid the cattle car dive shops in Cancun...many shops are just feeders into one or two big operations. I dive with Jaime Manjarrez with Scuba Caribe (located on the beach at the Riu Cancun). His shop feeds into Solo Buceo which operates a fleet of small boats from in front of the Fiesta Americana (super nice hotel, if you ever thought about getting a spa treatment and massage, get it here!). PM me if you would like Jaime's contact info. Also, if you want a dive video, Irene does a fantastic job fo $60 with a soundtrack you can rave to. I have not dived Riviera Maya but have heard the diving is unremarkable. I was not impressed with the two dives I did at the Cenotes but that may just be me.

One last suggestion: this year I finally broke down, bought the gold pass, and went to Congo Bongo in Cancun. Wow. Best entertainment dollar I ever spent, and I didn't even drink from the open bar. Wow.

Have fun and don't drink the water!

S/F,

db

AMX, Visa & MC pretty much covers everything they want to see.

OH Nitrox and AOW or higher and you only show them once but they seam to keep asking for the others.

Have a good trip.....
:lol:

They never ask to see my cards. I guess my T-shirts are all old enough. I use my drivers license number on forms as I can remember that one.

You do need to carry your passport and the stub they give you when you clear Immigration out & about. Problems are rare, but if something happens - helps keeps you out of jail while they investigate. Keep a spare passport photo & copy of passport in your room for backup. Not bad idea to register your trip with the US State Department, just in case, and review the info there, like no pocket knives - none in your bags or wherever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom