What deco software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec once bubbled...
anybody hear of people getting bent using V planner, I everybody I know who has had signs of DCS have been using V Planner
I have been using v-planner with a conservatism set to +2.

I haven't had any problems and feel great after a dive.. This type of model requires close attention to ascent rates and run times.. A slower ascent is not necessarily better.. Don't add in extra deep stops.. If don't like the output manually add in a few way points and let it calculate the rest.... If I use V-planner for OC I ensure I stay at least 3 minutes at the gas switch point to maximize the effect of high PO2.

I set conservatism to either nominal or +1, depending on how strenuous I expect the dive to be. I also set the 70' stop to 3 minutes minimum for gas switch.

If using a GF model program I use 10-90

Tom

All of my standard dive profiles were cut using +2 conservation with 5mins minimum at gas changes (normally 70' using 50%). I use a 30FPM max ascent rate from depth, and a 10FPM max final ascent rate from 20' to the surface. V-Planner starts it's deep stops at about the right depth every time.

Safety factors that I put in are that I never stay at the max depth for the entire time, and I always hang longer at the 20', 15', 10', and 5' stops than is required. It's a recipe that works very well for me.

Mike

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
All of my standard dive profiles were cut using +2 conservation with 5mins minimum at gas changes (normally 70' using 50%).
Mike

What do you do for the five minutes durring this gas change.
it seems that your deco stop at a gas changes are probably one minute, or if there is no deco stop then why the five minutes.

I guess I phrased that kinda strangely. If V-Planner tells me that deep stops start at 70'+ or so, I'll stop at 70' with 50% for five minutes so I can start offgassing at a deeper depth. I prefer offgassing as soon as possible which is why I opt for 50% rather than 02 most of the time. Switching to 50% at 70' for only a minute or two isn't going to do much in the way of offgassing, IMO.

Mike

that makes more since. a deco stop is different than a gas switch
even though you may be doing a gas switch at a deco stop.

and i agree the higher the PO2 the better for off gassing.

I use 36% to get off my bottom gas faster though.

AquaTec once bubbled...

What do you do for the five minutes durring this gas change.
it seems that your deco stop at a gas changes are probably one minute, or if there is no deco stop then why the five minutes.

On most dives my gas switch point is 70' (50/50 mix), the stop by default is usually 1 minute. I know this, so I usually manually add in a 3 minute waypoint at 70 feet this maximizes the off gassing.. of course this only applies to OC.

Even if its not a mandatory stop, switching to 50/50 will acclerate ofgassing.. If I carry a travel gas its usually a something like 32/25 trimix and I'll switch at 130 then go onto 50/50 @70. I don't like comming off a very hight helium mix right onto a mix with no helium if I can avoid it.. also in this case, without the helium in the mix the profile created by v-planner is very aggressive and gets you out of the water very fast, the helium adds just a few minutes to the dive and I have felt great after the dives..

This is an advantage to a rb you can gradually reduce your helium/nitrogen content without 1 big change(until you decide to have one).. on my RB I will frequent dump my loop at 70 ft and us my 50/50 bailout as a diluent.. This will drop my He content, but within a few minutes I'll have some He back in the loop.. @20 feet I run my RB as an O2 rebreather flushing the loop every 5 minutes or so to get the offgassed inert gasses out of the loop.. (at the earliest stages of a deco it takes about 5 minutes before the PO2 drops from 1.6 to around 1.3)

V-planner lets you configure it for a minimum stop time for gas switch stops. I has two ranges stops below 100 ft and stops 100 ft or above.

AquaTec once bubbled...

and i agree the higher the PO2 the better for off gassing.

I use 36% to get off my bottom gas faster though.

I usually use a 40% mix. It still gets me off my B/M at 100', then I switch to an 80% at 30'.

I've been using V-planner, GAP, and Pro Planner. Although I use V-Planner the most often.

I just finished cutting my profile for tomorrow's dive to the British Freedom in 200' using V-planner with +2 conservatism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom