What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second or third the AIR2. Great idea in the beginning but totally useless when teaching OW or Rescue classes. The snorkel as well. I have one because I'm supposed to carry one with me but I only use it in warm water during surface intervals then back in the bag. I like my computer in my console because I don't have to take it off every time I get in and out of my drysuit. Less risk of losing it.

I've been fairly happy with most of the gear I've bought. I don't even have any real regrets for having a Shadow octopus as I like the fact that it eliminates a hose on my setup. I have felt the "peer pressure" to do away with it, but thus far I can't see any real reason to dump it just yet.

I do have a collection of fins and masks that I no longer use for various reasons. But I don't lose any sleep about them. I figure at some point I'll have enough spares to be able to outfit another diver! Then I'll not have to worry about finding a dive buddy...

I bought the "everything is special" zeagle package from scubatoys. So far,
- I'm pretty sure I will only have the zeagle brigade bcd for a short time. It works fine and is pretty nice product but like some, I think I am headed for BP/W.
- I originially got it with the octo+ (similar to air 2). I did one ooa drill in the pool with it and decided immediately to send it back in favor of a true octopus. (Thanks for being so accommodating scubatoys guys)
- The package came with a tusa console. I used the console in its configuration a couple of times before I realized that wrist mounts was the way I wanted to go. So I am planning on dismantling the console and wrist mounting the computer and the compass.

For the same kind of money, I could have gotten bp/w, bottom timer, compass, spg and the same nice reg setup. So I kind of regret the purchase. If I was not exposed to DIR stuff, I prolly would be 100% satisfied. If you have absolutely no desire to go DIR, this package is excellent (I'm a newb so take that opinion with a grain of salt). One thing I have absolutely no regrets about is buying from scubatoys. They have done everything within reason (and somethings that just were truly unexpected) to earn my business.

I'm still undecided about my split fins which I purchased from my LDS. If only my LDS was as accommodating as scubatoys.

a wedding ring :wink:

yup.

Far_X:
a wedding ring :wink:

That and a car for her.........

Firebrand:
I've come to hate my snorkel!

I admit I don't use mine much, but I don't hate it. It was free after all, I got it from a crack in the roof of a swim through :D

Retractors. You know the type that clip and have a line to retract a compass or SPG?

They are way too long for streamlining, and swivel clips are much easier to use.

Also, my compass is on a retractor, and it's not horrible like the SPG was, but I'll need to move that to the wrist as well.

I can't be too upset since I use the retractors in my work shop to hold light tools, but I'd never spend $20 just for that purpose.

Had I bought a new, recommended computer, I would have undoubtedly regretted it.

I'm glad I did not follow all the advice on computers and started with a cheap, used, air only computer. It carried me through the early stages without spending allot of money. If I had followed the plethora of advice and purchased a higher functionality computer, I would have been forced to sell later to get enough money to buy what I really wanted but would not have had enough experience to know I would use. The cheap computer was low value enough I keep it as a backup and loaner.

My rule of thumb is that if it costs hundreds of dollars, learn what diving you will want to do before taking the plunge.

Well, as the instigator of TSandM's diving addiction, perhaps I should say "I regret buying her an OW course!" -- but I don't -- not for a nanosecond.

I noticed she said she couldn't remember why we opted for the console computers -- well I know -- because I couldn't read the figures on the wrist mount! We made a decision to have as much of our gear be identical as possible -- and I'm glad we did.

And unlike TSandM I'm quite happy with the Air2 -- I even use it now and then for practice and while it doesn't breathe like the reg -- it's a whole lot better than my original reg (back in the dark ages of the mid-60's). I do regret not getting a 5' hose on my reg since it is my shared air source.

I do dislike my first pair of fins -- but now she's taken them over -- so not a loss. I also do NOT like snorkels and I'll only wear it when I'm in a class and am required to have it.

I did make a mistake in buying the UK Light Pak with the C8 -- should have gotten something else (eLED pak?). However, now that TSandM has her cannister light, I took her C4eLED head and put it on the C8 and the C8 halogen on the C4. While the C8eLED is not as bright as an HID, it is pretty good and cheaper and pretty indestructible. And now we have the C4 Halogen as a decent backup light for both of us (in addition to all of the "minor" lights from the two UK paks).

Sealife Strobe -- I was told NOT to buy it -- I wouldn't like it -- but I was choking on the price of the "real" strobes. Well, I'll just have to live with it for another year while we both recover from the spending spree of this summer.

Dry Suit -- At the urging of many, I let myself get talked into buying a custom made drysuit that the LDS had (2nd hand). It does fit quite well after having the boots replaced. I was pretty ambivalent for the first number of dives and thought I'd made a big mistake and should have stayed wet. I thought that until a few weeks ago I went to a DUI drysuit testing and tried one of their trilams. I will NEVER say another bad word about my 2nd hand suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom