What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I learned was reconnecting it was a real pain in the ass, probably because of how it is routed. I had to try to connect and reconnect with my right hand. I think I am going to change my configuration so that I can do it with my left hand. This wil require me to change the orientation of the connector on the valve. I believe I can do that - I guess we will find out :)
Just an update - just now I got out my drysuit to check out changing the LPI valve so it points off to the left instead of the right. It was easy!! It just sort of turns! I thought I would have to at least unscrew something. Nope - could just rotate it with my hand :)

That my very "cool" wife, Acanthurus, (a newly minted diver) actually likes diving and she wasn't doing it "just for me". I know this because following her first dive after OW she surfaced from a low vis, low temp, zero wildlife (well....one 3 cm long sculpin....poor lonely thing!) mudpuddle of an excursion in a local northern lake and said "That was fun...let's go again!":yeahbaby:

9 days till we hit Oz:D

If you "have" to spray Afrin to go diving, you might want to reconsider diving...or perhaps get better at equalization technique.

Don't "have" to but when you have allergies it is helpful and I have used it on the advice of my doctor when needed. I did not intend to advise anyone to use it to help equalize just for the sake of making it easier - sorry :depressed: if it came across that way. Although it may be a good choice if you have nasal problems, because it lasts for up to 12 hours and should not wear off during a dive, my intention was to point out that you SHOULD NOT use it for more than a short period of time or it can have a rebound effect (according to my doctor - I have listened to that advice and haven't had any problems). I equalize just fine when I'm not having problems with allergies.

Back to topic - something I learned on my last dive was if you are diving with a lot of weight (cold water) and don't weigh a lot it is much better to be ready as soon as possible and get in the water asap - for me its much better than waiting on the boat and struggling with the weight.

I learned that whalesharks can swim a lot faster than me, even when they're not trying; that hammerheads don't like their pictures taken; that seals can moooove; and that the shutter lag on a point and shoot camera manages to bugger up your hopes of getting a decent shot all of the above...

Oh, and that Galapagos is addictive.

I learned that even if someone has been diving since the 70s, you really need to take into account when they last dove and with what frequency before assessing their skillset.:depressed: I also learned that just because you are a newbie, there are a lot of folks willing to entrust their lives to you.:shocked2:

Rough day on the water in Cancun after 2 drift dives, I learned that:

- Bobbing on the surface for a long time in big waves makes me queasy (waiting for pickup after 1st dive).
- Travelling to the second dive spot on a rough day while smelling exhaust makes me queasier.
- Puking over the side of the boat sucks and it really doesn't make me feel any better.
- Getting back in the water does relieve seasickness! I felt great during the second dive.

(Funny as I have NEVER been seasick before).

Rough day on the water in Cancun after 2 drift dives, I learned that:

- Bobbing on the surface for a long time in big waves makes me queasy (waiting for pickup after 1st dive).
- Travelling to the second dive spot on a rough day while smelling exhaust makes me queasier.
- Puking over the side of the boat sucks and it really doesn't make me feel any better.
- Getting back in the water does relieve seasickness! I felt great during the second dive.

(Funny as I have NEVER been seasick before).

Don't you know that chumming the water is a bad thing!!! :D I had that experience in St. Maarten on a shark feeding dive where the seas were so rough that I got seasick for the first time....unfortunately that was me opening Pandora's box because although usually only mildly so, I now get seasick more often. Dang that does not impress me much.

I learned that it's a great idea to fill a jug of water beforehand and let it bake on the windshield of your car while doing dive #1 in semi-cold water... and then pour it into your wetsuit during your surface interval! :)

(Ok, so I learned this a few dives ago in the Puget Sound, but I just applied it on my own a week and a half ago. :) )

A few things:

I learned it is possible to do an entire dive and not feel cold once. In fact, it is possible to overheat - I briefly contemplated flooding my drysuit for some relief (but seeing as I had my only set of clothes on underneath I had to give up on the idea shortly after or face driving home either naked or soaking wet...) Just hit 17C, think I better get back into my wetsuit...

I also learned crabs and stingrays do not get along, however their fights are very amusing.

And finally, I learned why my secondary torch stopped shining so brightly when my buddy got out an eraser and rubbed the contact points - as good as new now! (I know nothing about batteries and contact points and things like that :rofl3:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom