What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That not being able to clear all the way down to 60 ft is a clear sign I won't be diving anytime soon.

C R A P

I learned that as I really, really, really suck as drysuit diver.

Actually - I already knew this. I just got a strong reminder.

That is excellent news.

Thank you for sharing.

I am about to embark in drysuit and am not looking forward to that part.

Oh well.....always good for a laugh....

On my very last dive I learned that changing a wheel in 42 degree water, lying in the mud with zero vis is a quite a challenge, but that it can be done. Also, don't take a glove off and try to feel your way around. You're fingers go numb almost instantly so you can't feel a thing. Then your hand is freezing cold for the rest of the day.

On my last "real" dive I learned that a big cobia is a handful and can turn a spear shaft into a pretzel. Well, actually kind of already knew that, but every other time I've been able to straighten the shaft and reuse it. That wasn't the case this time.

I learned too that when you rip their gills out and the cloud of blood clears, expect to see sharks. However, it is possible to fend them off and get back to the boat with your fish and all your body parts. It makes for quite an adrenalin rush!

I learned several things:

1) I need to get into better shape and drop about 25 lbs. Burned through 3000 psi in 35-40 min @ 50 ft.

2) Need to work on proper weighting. Had a 7mm farmer john rental for Key Largo last month. I need 52 lbs (yes 52 lbs!) to submerge and I wallowed around like drowning bear underwater. Bought a 3mm suit that fit properly the next day - only needed 28 lbs!

2) When diving in shallow depths from a moored boat, suface @ 1500psi, locate boat, take compass bearing, return to depth and begin to head toward the boat. I surfaced with 500psi around 100 yds from the boat the first dive. Didn't have enough weight to go down and approach the boat underwater. 3 ft waves made the swim back very tough - panic was starting to set in. #1 above was a factor.

3) Plan the dive in more detail. See # 2.

I learned more in the last 6 dives than in all my previous 25+ dives put together.

- I learned that my husband can go through a tank of air REALLY fast
- That I shouldn't dive with my camera on the first dive of a trip...need to get comfortable first
- I like boat diving better than shore diving when in Grand Cayman
- I really need to lose weight and get in shape!

On my last dive I learned that I have a whole lot of learning to do and that's okay because I love diving.

I learned to get back in the water very soon after witnessing a very near miss (scuba accident) - the anxiety soon melted back into a love for scuba & all is good!

Back
Top Bottom