What dive log software do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it beat the $52 price tag of Dive Log 5.0?

Hi Povo, there is a free demo version without time limitation, so you can try Diving Log yourself for a while to see if it's worth the money. The USD price is unfortunately a bit high due to the conversion rate. It costs 35 EUR incl. tax, and ShareIt converts that to $52. I guess they take some additional fee or something like that. You can try to use PayPal to see if that gives you a better rate.

I have a Cobra 3 and olny have about 45 dives (yes, a newby). The DM4 software isn't very impressive and won't even pull over info such as comments from DM3. everything seems to point to Dive Log 5 but I was a bit supriised at the $52 pricetag. Is it worth it? I'd just assume start with a log that I will use for some time.

I think Dive Log 5.0 is definitely worth it. I've used a Veo 250, Wisdom 2, Cobalt and VT 3 and even though I still use the Oceanic software I figure the Dive Log software is the one software I will alway use that keeps a continuos record of my dives regardless of what computer brand I end up uising over the years.

For the past 300 or so dives, I've been just using a simple word processor (microsoft word and now mac Pages). With each rendition, it has become simpler and simpler. Now I just capture the pertinent info. If there is anything particularly remarkable about a dive, I elaborate in the "narrative" section. Here is my template:

Dive #:
Buddies:
Narrative:

Using dropbox, I can see it anywhere. It also syncs between my mac laptop and phone. Easy peasy. Just like my gear, I've found that the more stream-lined the better. Feel free to copy and paste to your own log and use at will. It isn't exactly rocket science here.

For the past 300 or so dives, I've been just using a simple word processor (microsoft word and now mac Pages). With each rendition, it has become simpler and simpler. Now I just capture the pertinent info. If there is anything particularly remarkable about a dive, I elaborate in the "narrative" section. Here is my template:

Dive #:
Buddies:
Narrative:

Using dropbox, I can see it anywhere. It also syncs between my mac laptop and phone. Easy peasy. Just like my gear, I've found that the more stream-lined the better. Feel free to copy and paste to your own log and use at will. It isn't exactly rocket science here.

For me the real value in keeping an electronic log over a paper log is the ability to run queries, for instance "show all dives over 100 FSW". With the right electronic log such as Dive log 5.0 that takes about 5 seconds regardless of whether you have 10 dives or 5,000 dives. That would be amazingly cumbersome trying to figure out with just a paper log, or logs stored such that queries can't easily be run.

Last edited:
+infinity for DiveLog.

It's incredibly easy to use, updated frequently, works seamlessly with it's Iphone app, and has ever possible feature you can think up.

Plus, you have the ability to customize it's layout. I use a layout that displays all it's data on one tab, then the comments and pictures on the second.

Awesome software- and very much worth every cent of the pricetag.

For me the real value in keeping an electronic log over a paper log is the ability to run queries, for instance "show all dives over 100 FSW". With the right electronic log such as Dive log 5.0 that takes about 5 seconds regardless of whether you have 10 dives or 5,000 dives. That would be amazingly cumbersome trying to figure out with just a paper log, or logs stored such that queries can't easily be run.

I concede that it would be very cumbersome to search or sort dives based on criteria such as depth, temperature, etc. with a paper log - actually a word processing document in my case. But I've never had any reason or desire to sort through my dives that way. Just sort of knowing what number, where, when, with whom and what I thought about a particular dive are all I really care to document.

As an added bonus, it is really easy to document dives for the rest of the family. I end up doing log books for the wife and kids too. It is very easy to cut and paste each dive that they do into their individual logbook (actually just a word file) and keep their tallies for them. I don't think I could easily do that using any of the commercial software. It would probably mean documenting each dive 4 times if I am with both kids and the boss. I like to keep a running count for us all: me #342, boss #101, 16 year old daughter # 136, 15 year old son # 80.

I concede that it would be very cumbersome to search or sort dives based on criteria such as depth, temperature, etc. with a paper log - actually a word processing document in my case. But I've never had any reason or desire to sort through my dives that way. Just sort of knowing what number, where, when, with whom and what I thought about a particular dive are all I really care to document.

As an added bonus, it is really easy to document dives for the rest of the family. I end up doing log books for the wife and kids too. It is very easy to cut and paste each dive that they do into their individual logbook (actually just a word file) and keep their tallies for them. I don't think I could easily do that using any of the commercial software. It would probably mean documenting each dive 4 times if I am with both kids and the boss. I like to keep a running count for us all: me #342, boss #101, 16 year old daughter # 136, 15 year old son # 80.

Just FYI - some/most/a lot (?) of the commercial logbook software has a "per diver" model so that each person in your family would have their own logbook file. Both Diving Log 5.0 on the PC and Dive Log Manager on the Mac allow you to "Import" dives from another logbook. So you would log the dive in one logbook where it would be #342, open the next logbook and import where it would now be dive #101, open the next and import, open the next and import.

Janice
More Mobile Software

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom